Hollis F1 Fin - First Impressions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katamuki

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After waiting for what seemed like a really long time (3 months) I finally was able to get a set of Hollis fins. The fins were for my wife who wears a size 7 Akona 5mm neoprene boot with a 1/2" felt sole. I had ordered the Regular size F1s as they were supposed to be for size 7-9. She normally wears either size L jetfins or Tusa Splits depending on where/how we are diving.

The Hollis fins while being described as "rubber" seem more like some form of plastic/elastomer compared to the rubber jetfins. The spring straps they come with are of a very nice design and the heel cover with molded finger hole is very comfortable and makes removing them in surge under the boat very quick. Prefitting them before the dive we decided not to adjust (tighten) the fin straps as they were adequately holding her foot inside the footpocket. The footpocket itself is fairly deep and would seem to easily fit a boot tip of a drysuit.

My wifes impression of the fin were not particularly good. Despite her size 7 boot and the Hollis Regular size being for size 7-9 the fin seemed fairly loose on her foot. She was unable to functinally flutter, backfin, helicopter or generally move around with confidence. During the remainder of the boat trip she ended up using her other fins we had brought along.

My impression however was much different. I wear a size 10 Akona 5mm neoprene boot with 1/2 felt sole and the Regular sized Hollis F1 fit me like a glove. I normally wear XS Scuba Rockets with spring straps but decided to try the F1s after my wife left them on the deck of the boat. The F1s were easy to slip on and the foot pocket was very very comfortable to my foot. The spring strap was not too tight and my foot never felt loose. I was photographing everything from turtles to gobies in clear water with fine white sand and was able to hover inches above the sand and frog kick and helicopter without disturbing anything. Backfinning was easy enough although the Rockets being stiffer may be a tad easier for this kick. What really wins me over with the F1s compared to my Rockets design though is that when I decided to flutter kick I could do so smoothly unlike the rubber planks I am used to.

I would not describe the change from my normal fin experience (wetsuit - Rockets, drysuit - DiveRite fins) to the Hollis F1s as extraordinary but along most particular uses/kicks except for backfinning the F1s exceeded my normal standard. At this point the F1s are replacing my Rockets as my standard equipment.

I love my Hollis fins. Been diving them for over a year now. I do think that if you had adjusted the springs your wife may have found the experience better. I have the XL's. In fact mine are pair of the prototypes I got from Nick. And agree with your experience with them. Frog, back kicking, helicopter turns etc and them being able to just switch to a flutter is very nice. I like them alot better than the rockets, super rockets, or Aqualung blades I have.

She was wearing a size 7 boot with socks and there was a quarter of in inch to the side of the boot in the foot pocket. The spring held the foot in fine, it was loose to the outside.

Thank you for the review. I have the same size feet as your wife, and it's good to know that the fins would be too loose.

The sizing of the F-1 is definitely deceiving. I wear a size 9 EVO3 and they fit perfectly in the regular fin. With other fins it has required a minimum of an XL and up to a 3XL. So definitely pay close attention to the sizing chart they publish.

Thanks for the write-up.

Just a quick note on the fin material.

It is my understanding that originally the F-1s were made of purely black rubber. Then in last year's model they switched to the elastomer / plastic type material. I believe they are in the process of switching back to rubber for the newer versions.

I am very happy with my rubber F-1s, they are comfortable, durable, and seem to perform very well for all styles of kicks. The XL fits my size 11 rock boots perfectly.

The sizing of the F-1 is definitely deceiving. I wear a size 9 EVO3 and they fit perfectly in the regular fin.

I'm trying to figure out F1 sizing as well, so can you clarify; when you say "regular" in the quote above, do you mean size L?

Thanks

Henrik

The sizing of the F-1 is definitely deceiving. I wear a size 9 EVO3 and they fit perfectly in the regular fin. With other fins it has required a minimum of an XL and up to a 3XL. So definitely pay close attention to the sizing chart they publish.

Thanks for the write-up.

I'm trying to figure out F1 sizing as well, so can you clarify; when you say "regular" in the quote above, do you mean size L?

Thanks

Henrik

My size 8 evo3's fit nicely into the F1 XL foot pocket. I'd be surprised if they'd fit into an L. Then again I'v not seen an L up close so that's just supposition.

I found with my size 9 Blue Reef boots that the F-1 seemed loose on my first dive with them.
I adjusted 1 side and the extra pressure cured the sloppy feeling.

Just as an aside for those that have never seen a pair of evo3s, they have the largest exterior dimensions of any dry suit boot I'v ever encountered. For eg. My old size 8 5mm neo AQ boots fit nicely into a pair of Jets size L, my evo3s wont even pretend to go into a set of XL jets properly, but my Apollo size 8 all purpose boots fit perfectly but they wont go into the L's.

mmm, I think I have too many fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom