Hollis Explorer MCCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, just throwing this out there for those with DIY experience and knowledge
Disclaimer: I am an Explorer diver and have over 1000 OC dives but Only other RB try dive experience beyond that.

Background:
The Hollis Explorer has been completely abandoned by Hollis (Huish) without any notice or attempt to accommodate customers who put their faith and money on this product. I believe a blow to the credibility of the rebreather manufacturing market in general and I know that one of the reasons I went with the explorer was the perception that a larger, more established company would be more likely to ensure continuity of service, parts and development. Certainly I will never knowingly purchase a Huish owned product in future.

The unit itself is pretty sound overall although the LSS has had its share of glitches, it is the LSS that also represents the greatest challenge as far as keeping these units going. So how about converting a Hollis Explorer to an MCCR as a way of keeping these units going and offering owners a way to progress to CCR?

First the obvious cons:
The scrubber is relatively small and rated by Hollis to a maximum duration of 2 hours at typical rec dive limits of depth and CO2 production, so the unit will Only be useful for non-deco rec type profiles unless a replacement scrubber can be developed (not so ridiculous maybe!). That’s it really AFAIK- others may chime in on this.

Now the Pros:
The design is modular and key competentes come apart readily for modification.
There have been no inherent issues uncovered with the basic design of the loop AFAIK.
It comes standard fitted with a BOV.
It is a well designed basic unit that has had a lot of investment, refinement and testing.

Just looking at it, this is how I would see it might happen (starting at the top).
The first stage within the upper unit would be removed and a manifold installed with a high flow QD hose to an outboard diluent/bailout ala KISS Spirit or Innerspace Pathfinder.
The manifold would hook up to all the LP lines that currently connect to the first stage, including the ADV.
The LCV (look it up) would remain the same and should work fine as an OPV.
The LSS module would need to be gutted and wiring installed to connect three O2 sensors in the current mounting holes through a waterproof fitting to the users choice of PPO2 monitoring handset and/or HUD.
The O2 cylinder would be installed where the current nitrox cylinder is located and an O2 first stage would be attached, the O2 hoses go to an CMF/MAV and back to the Scrubber Canister End Cap then through into the chamber at the exhalation side of the scrubber.

I am sure that I am missing some obvious issues or needed mods here but overall it seems that the explorer MCCR would be do-able?
What do you think?

if you're happy with it as an SCR, why not just convert it to a pSCR? much cheaper and easier....

How would this be done? There is no bellows CL like an RB80, are you thinking about something like the GEM mouthpiece?

Interesting!
I know that the GEM mouthpiece venting in front of the divers face is considered a safety feature but I would rather have the valve/vent as a stand alone (not DSV) unit where the exhalation hose meets the scrubber canister on the divers right shoulder. I think the burbling of the vent would still be clearly audible but would not be intrusive (much like the current LCV).
The current ADV would also not be adequate and would need to replaced by something with a lower cracking pressure.

Plumb a KISS MAV valve into the loop somewhere (scrubber bucket?) and wire the 3 cells to a shearwater computer. Use the original 1st and 2nd stage on the diluent side. Remember to block the depth compensation on the O2 regulator unless you use an adjustable needle valve system but a KISS system will get you deeper than you should be going on that unit anyway.

I would think with the modifications you’d need to make just to get a 2 hour scrubber life unit, you could just get a new Kiss LTE and sell the Explorer and be out of pocket about the same cash, and you’d have a real scrubber life and a unit that is not Frankensteined together.

Unless you just want to do it for a project. Then have fun!!

Considering how cheap they are, I've been eyeing them as well. Similar thought to the tons of dolphin mccr builds out there.
They breathe better than the dolphin

My first course with a rebreather was with a Draeger Dolphin in the late 1990s and it was enough to convince me it wasn't worth buying. Even the instructor was a proponent of converting to mCCR configuration.

I had similar thoughts about the Explorer when I first saw it - and I figured it would ultimately be about as successful as the Draeger Dolphin/Ray/Atlantis. There just isn't much upside to an SCR, at least not enough to offset the downsides for most divers. I can see the appeal of converting one to CCR, for the same reasons that became common on the Draeger units.

---

I'm not a fan of the KISS GEM mouthpiece. My impressions are that it is very finicky when if comes to maintenance and sand, and if it stops making bubbles the diver definitely needs to know it or the lights will soon go out. Talk to Forrest Wilson before you go that route...

The KISS leaky valve O2 MAV approach makes a lot more sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom