Hollis BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JSharp13

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a new diver, working on my cert. I would like to purchase a bcd, and am having a little trouble trying to break down all the options. My dive shop (thanks Mike) suggested the Hollis system (Elite Harness, S38 Wing, STA, Backplate). The system looks nice, and I do love having the newest thing, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this system. Here are some of my concerns:

1) As a new diver, is the back inflation easier/harder to control? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
2) Is the Hollis system (in your opinion) worth the extra money? I realize that getting the parts separately can be beneficial because you can change it up if needs change, but what are the chances of that?
3) If I never plan on doing tech diving, why should I go with this system? Not sure whether I will or not, but I'm curious if this system is really geared towards the tech diver. This also brings up another point. The Elite harness has buckles on the front, which from what I understand is a no-no in tech. Does this mean I would have to replace the harness anyway?
4) I've tried it on, but not in the water. It feels pretty good. That is why I want your opinion on it if you have used it in the water.

So, in other words, why should I pay $100-$150 more for this setup?

Thanks for your help. I'm a new poster and a new diver, so be gentle.

By the way, Mike, don't think that this means I don't value your opinion. I just like to hear about what others think before I make my decision.

I am a new diver, working on my cert. I would like to purchase a bcd, and am having a little trouble trying to break down all the options. My dive shop (thanks Mike) suggested the Hollis system (Elite Harness, S38 Wing, STA, Backplate). The system looks nice, and I do love having the newest thing, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this system. Here are some of my concerns:

First, there's really nothing "new" about the gear Hollis is making. The BP/W has been around for quite some time. Personally, I would go with the Solo harness rather than the Elite, but if you like having all of the buckles on there, then you may prefer the Elite.

Also, I'm not sure which wing is the S38, but the Hollis wings I'm seeing don't look like they require a STA, but I could very easily be wrong on that.

1) As a new diver, is the back inflation easier/harder to control? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

No, it is not harder to control, it inflates and deflates just like a jacket. Just make sure you don't over inflate on the surface or it could push you face down. Again, that only really happens if you over inflate.

Let's see, the disadvantages are that it isn't as much of a life jacket as a jacket style BC. You're not going to just inflate it and bob around on the surface like you can with a jacket. You do have to put it together, so if you're not comfortable with that, you may want to think twice (though it really isn't hard).

Advantages. The biggest is just that back inflation makes it easier to remain horizontal when your moving around. The BP/W makes this even easier by placing weight (the plate) where it does.

2) Is the Hollis system (in your opinion) worth the extra money? I realize that getting the parts separately can be beneficial because you can change it up if needs change, but what are the chances of that?

The Hollis system specifically, I don't know. Like I said, I'm not overly familiar with their system. I can say that you can easily get a decent BP/W rig cheaper than some jacket style BCs. As for changing things up, it is very nice if you dive in different conditions and need to change the weight you're using. You can switch from an aluminum plate to SS to add some weight. Or if you do ever move on to diving doubles you don't have to go and buy all new gear, just switch wings. Also, stuff does break, like it or not, and it is kind of nice knowing you will just have to replace the part that wore out rather than the entire rig.

3) If I never plan on doing tech diving, why should I go with this system? Not sure whether I will or not, but I'm curious if this system is really geared towards the tech diver. This also brings up another point. The Elite harness has buckles on the front, which from what I understand is a no-no in tech. Does this mean I would have to replace the harness anyway?

Whether or not you would have to replace the harness eventually would depend upon who you went to for training. I'm not aware of the standards of every single agency out there, so I honestly couldn't tell you one way or another.

You will find though, that you really don't need all those buckles though. That's why I would save a couple bucks and go with the more basic harness.

4) I've tried it on, but not in the water. It feels pretty good. That is why I want your opinion on it if you have used it in the water.

Again, I haven't used this specific gear so I won't comment on this.

$100-$150 more than what?

Finally, I will say that as a new diver, you may want to consider holding off on dropping a lot of coin on gear until you know for sure you're going to stick with it and that you're going to even be diving enough to justify owning your own gear. Just a tip.

We train our basic open water students in backplate/wing setups.
Seriously, a bp/w is the most simple piece of scuba gear ever. It's a bag of air with 2 holes. :11:

We train our basic open water students in backplate/wing setups.
Seriously, a bp/w is the most simple piece of scuba gear ever. It's a bag of air with 2 holes. :11:

I think this is the simplest piece of scuba gear ever.
tankbanger.jpg

:D

But seriously, I agree with SparticleBrane there that the BP/W is pretty simple. It just kind of looks scary because its in seperate parts and all.

I am a new diver, working on my cert.

As a new driver, a new pilot, a new anything. . . Is not the right time to buy any expensive gear. Any Bouyancy Compensator will be expensive and a good value only if it fits you well. Rent a good fitting jacket, A back float and a Back plate and wing. . . only by diving with the different choices will YOU be able to choose for yourself. Underwater they all feel about the same including the ancient "Horse Collar" at the surface unless there is an emergency, they're very much alike.

From there on, everyone loves what they spent a lot of money on, and trash all the others. Rent each style and choose for yourself. A very large percentage of divers dive single tanks in warm water, and choose Jacket or Back inflate BC's. . . If you're diving doubles in cold water and carrying tanks under your arms. . . you have to go BP/W. Everything else is in the middle and you can choose whatever you're comfortable with. As far as control, with experience you'll be able to control any of them.

If you're driving a sports car, it will be small and sleek; if a family sedan, it will be a little larger; if a mack truck, you can throw anything in it. . . there is the difference between Jacket, back float, and BP/W. How will you dive in the future? Most divers choose from the first two, because most divers are making easy single tank dives. There are "Technical" divers that push the limits, and their gear has to push the limits.

Thanks for your help. I'm a new poster and a new diver, so be gentle.

By the way, Mike, don't think that this means I don't value your opinion. I just like to hear about what others think before I make my decision.

First, welcome to the world of diving. No matter what equipment you purchase, you will be happy that you have your own gear.

Second, which shop did you find that sells Hollis in Chicago? There are not many in the area that sell technical equipment.

I will try to answer your questions:
1. I do not think that a BP/W is harder for a new diver to control. I think it is probably easier. In most cases it should fit better and it puts the buoyancy where it should be to make it easier to hover in a horizontal position. I teach my entry-level students in BP/W's.
2. I don't know what you are comparing the Hollis system to. Generally, a BP/W system should not be significantly more expensive than a "sport diving" BCD. It will certainly be less that purchasing a BCD that gets replaced shortly when you discover that it is not what you want. (I have observed many divers go from sport diving BCD's to Back Pack and Wings but none go from BP/Ws to jackets or the like.)
3. The Hollis system can be used for tech diving but a simple harness made from a single piece of 2" webbing with a single buckle is preferred. Hollis does make such a harness. You can also string your own on the back plate. It just takes a few feet of webbing and a stainless buckle.

Only you can determine what a piece of equipment is worth to you, but cost is second to having equipment that will work for you in your diving.

Wow everyone, thanks for your quick response.

To answer a few of your questions:

First, I am basically comparing it to a mid to high range jacket, lets say the Oceanic Probe (around $500). The quote I got for the Hollis equipment was a little over $600.

Second, I realize that I shouldn't just go out and buy a bunch of gear. However, I absolutely hate renting gear. I take pride in the care that I take of everything I own (I am also into photography and golf), and have a hard time working with equipment that others have abused. Plus, over time, the gear will pay for itself vs. renting. This is why I made this post--I want to make an informed decision. Oh, and I fell in love with diving after an uncertified dive that I took in St. Thomas. It was honestly the most amazing thing I have ever done, and since we only went to 40 feet, and there was really nothing to see, I think it can only get better.

Third, the shop near Chicago that sells Hollis is Dive Right in Scuba. Mike is the ops manager, and is a member of this forum. Quick plug, they have been amazing. I have asked a lot of ignorant questions, and they have been very patient.

Obviously, living in Chicago, I will be doing a lot of cold water diving. In addition, I plan on diving whenever we go to a warm vacation spot. It sounds like this may be just the type of setup that I can change around depending on the circumstances.

PS...I am 6'5", 300 lbs. Not sure if that matters.

Wow everyone, thanks for your quick response.

To answer a few of your questions:

First, I am basically comparing it to a mid to high range jacket, lets say the Oceanic Probe (around $500). The quote I got for the Hollis equipment was a little over $600.

I'm by no means trying to take business from Mike, but you can get a very good singles BP/W setup for about $450 fairly easily.

Second, I realize that I shouldn't just go out and buy a bunch of gear. However, I absolutely hate renting gear. I take pride in the care that I take of everything I own (I am also into photography and golf), and have a hard time working with equipment that others have abused. Plus, over time, the gear will pay for itself vs. renting. This is why I made this post--I want to make an informed decision. Oh, and I fell in love with diving after an uncertified dive that I took in St. Thomas. It was honestly the most amazing thing I have ever done, and since we only went to 40 feet, and there was really nothing to see, I think it can only get better.

First, I wasn't trying to talk you out of buying gear, but there are a lot of people who jump in with both feet and drop a lot of money on gear only to throw it on Ebay a year later.

Second, as for the depth there, don't assume deeper equals cooler. Some of the coolest stuff you'll see is no deeper than 60 feet or so.

Obviously, living in Chicago, I will be doing a lot of cold water diving. In addition, I plan on diving whenever we go to a warm vacation spot. It sounds like this may be just the type of setup that I can change around depending on the circumstances.

PS...I am 6'5", 300 lbs. Not sure if that matters.

I think a BP/W would serve you well, being a big guy and in that you will be diving in both cold and warm water.

I don't own any Hollis gear, but I have had my hands on a couple setups of theirs. Definitely looked to be good quality stuff. The plates were finished nicely (as you would expect) with no rough edges. The wings seemed nice, the first thought in my head was it looked like Halcyon and Oxycheq had a kid :) (the singles wing was extremly similar to a H Eclipse single wing, and it used the same style inflator hose as the Oxycheqs)
I am not a fan of the Elite harness, but different people are looking for different things and it is nice that they give you a variety of harnesses to choose from.
Can you get something cheaper? Yes, but you can almost always get something cheaper than any particular item you are looking at. There was nothing about the Hollis gear that would make me think it was not a good choice. If you are getting good service from your LDS (which can be pretty hard to come by sometimes) and you can get local service from an authorized dealer, that is probably worth something.
Good luck with your decision.

I'm by no means trying to take business from Mike, but you can get a very good singles BP/W setup for about $450 fairly easily.

First, I wasn't trying to talk you out of buying gear, but there are a lot of people who jump in with both feet and drop a lot of money on gear only to throw it on Ebay a year later.

Second, as for the depth there, don't assume deeper equals cooler. Some of the coolest stuff you'll see is no deeper than 60 feet or so.

I think a BP/W would serve you well, being a big guy and in that you will be diving in both cold and warm water.

I'm sure Mike can help me find a BP/W at a lower price range. We looked at several different BCDs before he showed me this one. I promise he was in no way trying to push this on me. I really just wanted opinions on what people thought of this setup, and if it was worth the extra money.

No, I know about the depth. However, we weren't even near a reef and there was basically one kind of fish (white with an orange stripe, don't know what it was) and I saw a good size puffer. I just meant was a very dull dive, but safe for us uncertified newbies. What I really fell in love with was the peace and feeling of weightlessness.

Are calling me fat?? LOL...Just kidding. Thank you very much for your advise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom