Hollis Backplate Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SVT_Tactical

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Transitioning/trying a back plate and wing. Got a used back plate and now looking at wings. Looking at a Hollis C45 Donut wing, would this work with this backplate? I don't plan on diving doubles anytime soon and will be sticking to singles for the time being. Is there a better wing for a decent price that would work for a single better?

if you're planning on diving with singles, get a single tank wing.

I would say that may be a little to much wing for singles . You may want to look at something around a 32lb wing I dive a Hog32# donut wing There are lots of choices . some one with more knowledge on wings ,will soon chime in and give you a good over all understanding of what you will be look for. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY

Forgive my ignorance as I'm just learning BP/W but, Besides lift and obviously size that goes along with that, whats the big difference in a singles wing and doubles wing? Again, all this BP/W stuff is new to me so any advise help is appreciated. I've been told to try on and I'm going to.

Doubles wing is bigger and wider for doubles. If used with a single tank it will taco around the tank and hold air up in the taco. This can make it difficult to dump air because some may be trapped on one side of the taco and won't move to the other side where the dump is easily without you rolling around to get it to move. Also the wing will be larger than necessary so you will have excess fabric flapping around creating drag.

Get a singles wing that is more streamlined. Get a doubles wing later if you go that way. Switching wings is easy. Some people even get another backplate so they can leave it set up for doubles if they dive both ways frequently.

Forgive my ignorance as I'm just learning BP/W but, Besides lift and obviously size that goes along with that, whats the big difference in a singles wing and doubles wing? Again, all this BP/W stuff is new to me so any advise help is appreciated. I've been told to try on and I'm going to.
Singles wing: specifically designed to be used with a single tank.
Doubles wing: designed to be used with a set of doubles.
The doubles wing will be too big for a single tank. It will taco the tank and most likely make dumping air very difficult. get the right tool for the job.
You shouldn't need more than 30lb of lift for a single. If you are diving warm water only, you may need even less. As long as both the wing and the plate have 11 inch centres, they should be compatible. Some wings and/or plates require the use of an STA (single tank adapter).

It won't if you use a Hollis wing that's new enough to have slots for tank straps (I think you have to go back several years to find one without slots). Other brand wings will be on a "per wing" basis.

FYI I bought a deep sea supply wing that did not require an sta. However I found that I didn't like how the tank secured so I removed the built in rubber piece and put on an sta. I found this is a much more secure connection.

So I wouldn't worry one way or the other about the sta. Look at the hog kits or some of the package Bp/w kits from diverightinscuba.com these will give you everything you need to get started.

I have the Hog 32# singles wing on my Hollis backplate (my wife's rig now).....and I will say it works without an STA if you're willing to put some elbow-grease into it. The slots on the Hog wing don't line up with the slots on the Hollis backplate. 5 minutes with a Dremel and cutting wheel and you'll be off to the races. It's what my wife dives exclusively now (until I can talk her into sidemount) and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom