Hollis 500se

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only complaint I have had on these so far, and its a non-issue as my buddy now understands the "physics" of the situation, is free-flowing. We are using these as a matched set for primary and backup and when the backup is worn on a necklace and its not tilted correctly when you first get into the water will start free-flowing right into your face.

Other than that I love the regs and look forward to many more dives on them!

If you decide to increase your regulator collection you may want replace the octos with adjustable regulators so you can detune them when not in use. You can use the octos on the first stage of the adjustable regulators as a backup.

I realize this thread is a year old but I wanted to comment on a couple of things. First, The Poseidon 2nd stage does not shut off gas in a high pressure failure but vents it from the end of the hose closest to the 2nd stage where the HPV is. This way a diver can still breath off the venting in an emergency ascent. Comparing the 500se or other "up stream" regs to a Poseidon is like comparing a Corvette to a Bugatti. Second, and this one is much more important, if you are down to 200psi on your tank, you have MUCH bigger problems than a reg that may not breath like you want it to. If you ever find yourself in this position, put your head between your knees and kiss your arse goodbye. If you should make it to the surface without a serious DCS incident, consider another sport since you're too busy worrying about the reg and not enough about your turnaround pressure.

I got the Hollis 500SE and I could not be happier. It breathes so easy and smooth and absolutely no bubbles in front of your face. Absolutely love it.

500SE is a downstream regulator though isn't it? I haven't pulled the internals on it but there is no mention of a special OPV hose, or an OPV required on the first stage and with no freeflow below 50psi that means downstream. so any confirmation on someone that has taken this apart on the differences?

The Omegas and 500SE have a small downstream pilot valve that vents gas allowing the large downstream servo valve to open — an elegantly simple mechanism. Just unscrew the big nut at the hose end with your hands (no tools required) and you can see all the guts. No worries about damaging anything or springs popping across the bench.

Attachments

• Omega Internals.jpg
    Omega Internals.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 605
10-4, was pretty sure they were using downstream, but wanted clarification since another guy was asking about mixing and matching first stages with them. I love the pilot servo design, though I'm only really familiar with Poseidon

10-4, was pretty sure they were using downstream, but wanted clarification since another guy was asking about mixing and matching first stages with them. I love the pilot servo design, though I'm only really familiar with Poseidon

Thank you for your due diligence.

I am selling my 500SE right now. I have all DiveRite gear and really just want a matching set. I am selling for $465, not including shipping & handling or paypal fees. Let me know if you're interested! I use it on my left side sidemount post right now but like I said before, I really want matching gear =)

Just wondering what's the motivation behind all matching gear? I get matching regulator brands due to service but do you mean matching everything like wing, suit, lights ect ect? Or just regulators? Just wondering the reasoning behind the all matching gear! I'm sorry if this is a total hijack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom