Hole in Pioneer wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Received an email from the shipping company this morning that Halcyon have dispatched a parcel to me. Will have to wait until next week until I receive it to see if it is a new wing, but haven't heard otherwise from them. Will post an update when it arrives.

Six days out the door? Not bad.

Gearhead and Ben., I too have a Pioneer wing with a hole, but they are telling me that they will not repair it, after I sent it in. I'd like details on your issues, please

you can email me at chris@underwaterplanet.com

thanks

Well Chris, the important distinction between a "hole" as in "puncture" vs. a leak from an inadequately sealed seam is the deciding factor in whether they will help you or not. In my case, I described where the air was escaping from (the top of the right side bellow area), and the guy I talked to concluded that it was on the seam, and therefore Halcyon's responsibility. It sounded fair to me. I'll send you this via e-mail as well.

Rick

Unfortunately I have to add that I am on my third 45# wing. The first one was a mess. It seemed like it did not laminate correctly. I had it for less than 4 months. Halcyon did replace it but it took close to 3 weeks.

This second one developed small leaks near the seams and stress points. Halcyon did replace it with a new one and it only took a couple weeks.

I am on my third one now and have a couple of dives on it. I hope it holds.

I would never trade my Halcyon wing but I had a Zeagle BC for 10 years and it never leaked once.

If mine leaks I may have to get a DiveRite to replace it with :)

NOW I know why GI3 doesn't like BWOD! Halcyon wings spring enough leaks that they'd actually KILL you if they had bungees! Contrast that with the lack of dead bodies from the other manufacturer's products, and the conclusion is obvious! :D

Well a brand new 36lb wing just arrived via UPS - it was a free exchange. It was invoiced as a replacement for a "failed pleat seam" or words to that effect.

Definitely happy with Halcyon's service. I'll see how this wing holds up.

At least the logos on my 36lb and 55lb wings will match now :)

Just a few notes comparing the old wing to the new (from memory):

1. The new wing looks slightly larger than my old 36lb wing.
2. The integrated STA looks to have been moved slightly in relation to the position of the mounting holes - the STA is now centered, previously it was higher on the wing closer to the top hole.
3. The LP inflator is now attached to the corrugated hose by a plastic clamp with SS screw - my old wing had two zipties attaching the inflator, with a piece of inner tube covering the ties - the new wing looks much more professional.
4. Couple of minor changes to bits of attached webbing.
5. When fully inflated, the wing does not distort or twist out of shape - it inflates evenly all around. The old wing would "warp" when fully inflated when not attached to a backplate - the new wing stays symmetrical.

Overall, the new wing looks to be improved over the 2001 model.

O-ring once bubbled...

...the gerbils have dual uses... :tease: (at least that's what Cave Diver told me)

Shhhhhhhh, ya aint supposed to share details of our PM's! You don't want me to tell everyone what you really happened with those donkey's in Bonaire do you?

Donkey's they're not just pack animals anymore, they're part of the family! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom