Holbox - Whale Shark Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Holbox --- spent two days with the whale sharks... at one point we had 13 whale sharks in the general vicinity of the boat.

It was my second trip ( I went last year) -- It's an awesome experience!

Liz

Thanks so much for the response. This is our first whale shark excursion and we are so excited!!

I am going Aug 5th...has anyone used Prodive? They do the 4 am pick up and return to your resort on the same day. They also give a money back guarantee if you don't see any whale sharks. The price is 249 USD pp but you get 15% off if you book on line.
-Teri

My wife and I did a Whale shark trip in June. We were staying in Akumal and signed up late with the dive shop we have dove with before (Blue Caribe out of GORM resort). We had to drive in our rental behind there van, but they gave us a discount. Roads are very rough to Chiquila and our tailpipe came disconnected from the engine.

Other than that, it was a fantastic trip and worth it. Only complaint on the trip is many people did not respect the whale sharks and the admonition not to touch. There were many boats out there, but the rule is one boat per whale shark. We were guaranteed at least two shots with the Whale Sharks, but got four. Difficult getting photos due to the plankton in the water, but what an experience! These are huge, majestic creatures. Took my breath away.

You cannot dive with them, only snorkel. Saw dophins on the way out. Small jelly's during the snorkeling. A woman we know saw a Manta playing with a whale shark last summer. Holbox is a delightful island. We wish we could have stayed there a few nights.

Teri,

Prodive are a great operation – I think you will be really happy.
It is long and tiring to do it in one day, but is completely worth it.
Prodive stand by their money-back guarantee but this time of year you won’t need it!!
It’s an incredible experience – I hope you have a wonderful time.

- Cheryl

Im currently looking for a place to waste a couple of thousand dollars from august 13th to 19th and the more I "investigate" the more my mind seems to narrow in on Mexico, amongst other things because of these amazing creatures which id totally love having a closer look at...
Hmm.. make that more like three thousand dollars, the trip alone is a couple of thousand :p
Then again, who cares, swiming with those is worth a couple og thousand bucks to me, I just need to find the best deal on the flight and hotel I think :p

Tigerman, there are a couple of great little hotels on the island…

Xaloc Resort (my favorite) is $107 per room per night single or double occupancy – I know they have availability at this time - http://www.holbox-xalocresort.com/INGLESE/inglese.htm
Casa Las Tortugas is as low as $84 US Dollars per room per night single or double occupancy – would have to check if it’s available - http://www.holboxcasalastortugas.com/

Both include tax and breakfast.

Whale Shark experiences with “Whale Shark Tours” – again my favorite operator out there is $100 per day.

Private meet and greet transfers are approx $240 round trip from Cancun airport to the mainland port of Chiquila.
A taxi will probably run you the same. You can get there cheaper by bus, but I have never done it that way.

Once you get to Chiquila, you can take a ferry (runs every couple of hours) for $4 one way, or you can hire a fisherman to take you across by boat which will cost you $50 - $100 round trip for up to 6 people depending on if you arrange it in advance or negotiate it once you get there.

Not sure where you are coming from, but would be happy to let you know the current airfare if you tell me your departure city.

If it is from Norway, that is going to be your biggest expense.

Once you get to the island, it’s quite inexpensive to eat and drink, providing you go into town.

If you want any help arranging it, please let me know. If you end up organizing it for yourself, do let us know what you think when you get back.

I loved it. I should have posted a trip report when I got back last year, but I have probably left it too long now. But is you have the time and the resources available, I think you will be really glad you went.

Since Im planning to spend a week there, I kinda want a couple of different dives as well as teh whalesharks and ive been looking into cancun/manta divers.. dont know if thats a good plan or not tho.. And yeah, flight+stay is gonna cost me approx 2000 USD alone..

Back
Top Bottom