Holbox whale shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens:
It was snorkeling. The fish stay right at the surface and move WAY faster than you ever could, so you don't miss much by not having gas on your back. We kept hopping on the boat, circling around, and jumping back off in front of the sharks. Those things look like subway cars when they're heading for you.

We met at the shop in Cozumel early in the morning, took the ferry to Playa del Carmen, then a van to Cancun. There we got a very fast cigarette boat converted to a dive boat and motored at high speed to the vicinity of Holbox. It took quite a bit of time, but allowed for some interesting conversation on the way out and lots of napping on the way back. We were back in time for supper.

Do you have any info on the boat from Cancun? I have a timeshare in Cancun and was looking into renting a car to drive up the coast, adjacent to Holbox and taking a water taxi across. The cigarette boat sounds like a better experience.

Contact Ben at www.mayanaquadive.com. I was on his boats last year, but they were still in dry dock. He has two boats, 15 divers on one, but usually runs about 12 max, and a smaller 8 diver boat. The bigger one has twin Yamaha 220's and will get you there plenty fast.

Our time share was at Hotel Internationale but expired last year. This will be our last time share trip at the Royal Caribbean. Ben's shop is at KM5.5 just east of the huge Mexican flag.

He runs whale shark trips and really good dive packages. You can't go wrong with them.

bubba105:
Do you have any info on the boat from Cancun? I have a timeshare in Cancun and was looking into renting a car to drive up the coast, adjacent to Holbox and taking a water taxi across. The cigarette boat sounds like a better experience.

The operator was "Solo Buceo." I have no idea how to contact them.

Spratman:
Contact Ben at www.mayanaquadive.com. I was on his boats last year, but they were still in dry dock. He has two boats, 15 divers on one, but usually runs about 12 max, and a smaller 8 diver boat. The bigger one has twin Yamaha 220's and will get you there plenty fast.

Our time share was at Hotel Internationale but expired last year. This will be our last time share trip at the Royal Caribbean. Ben's shop is at KM5.5 just east of the huge Mexican flag.

He runs whale shark trips and really good dive packages. You can't go wrong with them.

mstevens
The operator was "Solo Buceo." I have no idea how to contact them.

Thanks for the info. I'm in the Royal Caribbean also. Very nice place. I really need to see whale sharks so we're exchanging for a week in summer. We'll use Cancun as home base. Playa Del Carmen has large turtles eating sponges and tarpon in the summer. This should be a great one. Thanks again.

JUST A THOUGHT...For something more than just diving, you can actually do some research and help to protect them. There are some interesting expeditions coming up sponsored by The Shark Research Institute. All the money goes to their fund to conserve, study, protect, and legislate world wide for the protection of sharks. Also 20% of your trip is tax deductible. I intend on going on the December expedition to LaPaz Mexico. Rather than being just an observer, you are actually part of the team!
http://sharks.org/expeditions.htm
Hope your trips are exciting!
Carolyn :D ADOPT A WHALE SHARK TODAY http://sharks.org/adopt.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom