HOG Tech 2 vs. Mares Power Plana vs. ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HappyHonu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Help! I can't find a blade fin that works with my drysuit boots (women's size 8, comparable to DUI rock boot size 7). Given all the gear and weight I have to carry to dive in the Puget Sound, split fins are not a good option for me. Scubapro jets are too wide, and the power transfer is terrible. Has anyone tried the HOG Tech 2 or the Mares Power Plana? I'm tired of paying to try fins and return them.

Thanks!

I feel your pain, I too am tired of losing money on fins that don't fit. I have to order out of country so cannot try on first. I'm a 6.5 US and wear Medium Flexi Sole boots in my drysuit and also found Jets (XL) to be too wide, but Large were too small. I tried Hollis F1s in regular but they too were too wide. I ended up with some DiveRite EXP XT fins in a Medium. They fit well, the foot pocket is narrower. Not sure what Jets you're using but if they are a XL the Power Planas will likely be too wide also, if you're wear large jets then your chances would be even slimmer. I was going to buy a pair but leisure pro advised against give my foot size. Good luck.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2014 at 05:22 PM ----------

I recently bought some Mares Avanti Quattro + in a Small and although haven't gotten them wet yet on dry land they seem to fit well with my DS boots. I'd rather a little more weight as my feet get kinda floaty but size wise they seem a good match.

I wear a women's 7 shoe and have built-in boots in my Santi suit. The Power Planas fit perfectly, and they are by far and away my favorite fin of all the fins I've tried. They are heavy like Jets, come with an elastic strap, permit easy performance of all the precision kicks, and deliver more thrust for the same amount of effort than either my Jets or my Dive Rite EXPs. My husband and I fight over who gets to use them.

I wear a women's 7 shoe and have built-in boots in my Santi suit. The Power Planas fit perfectly, and they are by far and away my favorite fin of all the fins I've tried. They are heavy like Jets, come with an elastic strap, permit easy performance of all the precision kicks, and deliver more thrust for the same amount of effort than either my Jets or my Dive Rite EXPs. My husband and I fight over who gets to use them.

Are they the 2.5mm Flex sole boots? What size are they? I'm hoping you're going to say yes to Flex soles and that you are a medium. I'd love to buy a pair. Cheers.

They are the Flex Soles, and I think they are mediums, but I'm at work and the suit is at home, so I can't check. I believe the fins are Ls.

They are the Flex Soles, and I think they are mediums, but I'm at work and the suit is at home, so I can't check. I believe the fins are Ls.

That being the case it looks like we are wearing same boots in the same size. The Power Planas might just fit after all. Thanks.

Can I ask you if you use the Power Planas with drysuit rockboots? As I'm still looking for a good fin for my rockboots. I don't like my Aeris Velocity X3 as I find them too long and hard to don. I like Force Fins but am having trouble getting the correct size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom