Review HOG Stainless Steel backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets start with the fact that the retailer has chosen a level of quality that fits a price-point they want to bring to market. Manufacturers can produce to various levels of quality. Folks have to accept that if they are being frugal, there are consequences. You don't get Rolls Royce on a Yugo budget.

The sad part of this whole discussion is the fact that the items have to be obtained from offshore sources.

Planning on buying this backplate - sounds like it’s nothing that a few minutes with a file wouldn’t fix, and if bending some corners is required I can do that too.

I am considering purchasing a HOG BPW setup. Are their AL BPs cheap quality as well? What are other alternatives at the similar price points? Thanks
Because the AL plates are coated, they tend to have a little smoother finish. I never had a complaint about the edges on the aluminum plates. I sold/built probably 50 of them over the years.

I am considering purchasing a HOG BPW setup. Are their AL BPs cheap quality as well? What are other alternatives at the similar price points? Thanks
I dive their AL plate and it is smooth on all edges. I still put sleeves on the sections of webbing that goes through each slot though.

$130 for plate and harness. You need to add cambands (2@$25), maybe trim pockets and a wing. They have HOG 23lb for $240. So $420 for everything except trim pockets. Get the DGX Gears 30lb wing from DGX instead and it's $380.

If you want a different plate or just to talk through the hardware options, call them. They can put together whatever combination you want.

Or just get the DGX Gears full package for $400. DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

You knew the corners/edges were sharp and you still put it on your back? You did this in a quick fashion causing it to not just scrape, but cut into it?

Do you also drive with the check engine light on and a low oil pressure reading while complaining that Ford makes a terrible motor?
Seriously?!?

My point of posting the review was to give my experience with the product. This was my first experience with BPW. Edges aren't razor sharp and there are many good reviews of the HOG TCBS system which includes their plate so I didn't realize it would be an issue. Chalk it up to being on the beginning of the learning curve with BPW.

But if it makes you feel better to insult someone for simply posting a review listing pros and cons (I wasn't trying to be "oh woe is me, this horrible product ruined my life), you do you.

Seriously?!?

My point of posting the review was to give my experience with the product. This was my first experience with BPW. Edges aren't razor sharp and there are many good reviews of the HOG TCBS system which includes their plate so I didn't realize it would be an issue. Chalk it up to being on the beginning of the learning curve with BPW.

But if it makes you feel better to insult someone for simply posting a review listing pros and cons (I wasn't trying to be "oh woe is me, this horrible product ruined my life), you do you.

You were bashing a product that you knew had faults and continued to use the product in a way that caused damage to your other equipment. I hope you don't take it as a complete insult, but you should have paused and given more thought to using it when you noticed the sharp edges. I'm glad you did a review and brought attention to other potential buyers that they may need to address that problem prior to damaging a $600 wetsuit or $3k dry suit. Thanks for the heads up

You were bashing a product that you knew had faults and continued to use the product in a way that caused damage to your other equipment. I hope you don't take it as a complete insult, but you should have paused and given more thought to using it when you noticed the sharp edges. I'm glad you did a review and brought attention to other potential buyers that they may need to address that problem prior to damaging a $600 wetsuit or $3k dry suit. Thanks for the heads up
I applogize if you or anyone else read my review as bashing a product, but I just intended to leave an honest review - I listed pros and cons. The whole reason for posting the review was that I didn't know the product had faults. The edges aren't razor sharp and I didn't realize that they were sharp enough to damage my suit. Maybe the fault was with me by hoisting it onto one knee and putting it on like a backpack hoisted as I have done with jacket BCDs.

I applogize if you or anyone else read my review as bashing a product, but I just intended to leave an honest review - I listed pros and cons. The whole reason for posting the review was that I didn't know the product had faults. The edges aren't razor sharp and I didn't realize that they were sharp enough to damage my suit. Maybe the fault was with me by hoisting it onto one knee and putting it on like a backpack hoisted as I have done with jacket BCDs.
I likely misread your review as you had intended. I read it as you making note of the hazard and then continuing its use. If that isn't the case then I should apologize. I would sling a jacket without pause, both across my back or over my head. No chance of that with a non curved backplate. I value my kidneys too much. I use my tailgate, bench or other raised surface and just stand the kit up of it isn't already high enough. Keep diving and hopefully HOG will work with you for repair of the suit and backplate.

Check out the freedom plate, contours to your back, smooth edges beautiful polish and non-magnetic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom