Review HOG Stainless Steel backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the freedom plate, contours to your back, smooth edges beautiful polish and non-magnetic.
Absolutely correct. Mine is awesome.

However they are currently pure unobtanium new. Eric is not producing them currently due to sky-high materials costs, uncertainty if he can even get the blanks cut, and being consumed with his primary business. My guess is he also has a year(s) long waiting list if and when production resumes. Hell, I was on the list 6-months or more for another (longer) thin SS plate before things wrapped up and I didn't make the cut.

If one comes up on the classifieds, my guess is it will last minutes ...

Check out the freedom plate, contours to your back, smooth edges beautiful polish and non-magnetic.
Already have. I put my name on the waitlist, but from Eric's last post, sounds like it will be a long time (if ever) until I would get a new one from him. I'm keeping my eye out a used one.

I likely misread your review as you had intended. I read it as you making note of the hazard and then continuing its use. If that isn't the case then I should apologize. I would sling a jacket without pause, both across my back or over my head. No chance of that with a non curved backplate. I value my kidneys too much. I use my tailgate, bench or other raised surface and just stand the kit up of it isn't already high enough. Keep diving and hopefully HOG will work with you for repair of the suit and backplate.
No problem. I repaired the tears myself with AquaSeal HD, dove the past 2 days, and the suit did fine. Unfortunately, some places I dive don't have enough benches and you have to park away from the dive site, so I bought a portable work table to bring to local dive sites and so far, no problems. The table is pretty cheap ($70), folds up easily, and I'm happy with it.

Worx WX066 Sidekick Work Table

Already have. I put my name on the waitlist, but from Eric's last post, sounds like it will be a long time (if ever) until I would get a new one from him. I'm keeping my eye out a used one.
That’s why I told you to just clean up the plate you have with a file and/or an orbital sander and put some bends in it. It will work fine for now. They just don’t take those products to the next level at that price point but it can be done very easily DIY.
When I start making stuff again then I’ll get people taken care of. This insanity can’t last forever.

Thanks for your advice. I completely understand why you're not making stuff (I'm amazed at how much work you've already put it). You're clearly a huge asset to this community.

I'll try the sanding, but I don't have a vice for bending (but I'll see what I can do with a pair of vice grips).

Thanks for your advice. I completely understand why you're not making stuff (I'm amazed at how much work you've already put it). You're clearly a huge asset to this community.

I'll try the sanding, but I don't have a vice for bending (but I'll see what I can do with a pair of vice grips).
Vise grips will bite into the material and give you some nice gouges. Once you clean up the edges it should be fine. Unless you don't have an elevated spot to get in your rig I'd leave it alone after sanding and honing. 90% of my dive spots have a bench, table or my tailgate to get in so I won't have to make large and violent motions to get dressed. The other 10% I get in seated and just stand the rig up.

Plus one on using a table to set up and don the gear. We use the picnic tables.

You don't list where you are in the commonwealth, but if you get near central Montgomery county, PM me and we'll get you fixed up. Vice, sander, even abrasive tape and cord for the slots ...

I live in an apartment so am in the same boat. A file will make quick work of the sharp edges and then sand to deburr if needed. You don't need a vise to hold it to do the edges. Hang the plate over the edge of a coffee table or block of wood and pin it in place with your knee or just sit on it like a traditional Japanese woodworker.

dcVjSYNtCPJ4g_kyvN6zU66ME6p83UBzXxdowaBwbJ12fG9EOadmYwgOr23tzmKixGbBxtTCDD02ZuIWSOghfkrCfQpQZQODHUrg6Gl8vy2HxSPcReKwOL3ZWAHXtfrFqXkBWFNG9ZaKZWjZBA

Back
Top Bottom