HOG rigs and tropical travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdoug1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When I am diving at home in Florida, I always dive my HOG rig (about 1/3 of my home dives are cave and or trimix, 2/3 are standard recreational). When I am travel diving (usualy flying to topical liveaboards), I don't. I use a small travel wing on a Transpac, and I use a standard length hose to my second stages. For those of you who fly to tropical locations for conservative recreational diving, do you travel with your full HOG rig?

Yes! I bring my can light too on every dive. It is nice to be able to look under ledges and into cracks, and bring out brighter colors. I feel I get to see more. Plus if anywhere you are going to have to perform an air share, the tropical vacation divers are more likely to be the ones needing air then our regular local dive buddies right? So the seven foot I I routinely use and practice with is left on my kit.

So far I have left my drysuit at home for diving in the tropics, but that would probably change if I went to Bonaire (Lots of bottom time) or anywhere the water is less than 80 degrees.

When I travel, I carry only what I need. And that includes my BP/W that I normally dive with a single tank. My Jet fins and can light come too.

I use a heavy steel plate at home and an AL plate for travel. I have an 18W HID can light for home and a much smaller, 12W LED can light for travel.

Everything else is pretty much the same ... except if I'm traveling someplace where the water's warm I'll leave my drysuit at home.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes -- I take my full single tank rig, including canister light, and nowadays, I take my dry suit (Fusion) too!

We weighed Peter's BC a while back (back-inflate SeaQuest Balance) and it came out only about a pound lighter than a stainless steel plate and harness and wing. It was surprising.

My travel rig:

Alloy BP with Hog harness and weight pockets (cam bands and waist harness - up to 18#)
Apeks XTX100 DIN regs with miflex hoses including 5' primary, & SPG
30# singles wing
Size L Jet Fins with neoprene socks (I usually use XL Jets with booties)
Halcyon oral-inflate SMB
75' spool
3mm shorty wetsuit
2.5mm hooded vest
1mm Nylon undersuit (if it's cold)
Frameless mask
Wrist-mount dive computer
1mm tropical gloves (if it's really cold)
Save-a-dive kit of spares and basic tools
Log book and required c-cards

I find this combo adapts to most conditions I dive in without taking up too much space/weight. It all fits comfortably in a small Tatonka gear bag, total weight <14kg. Can fit in a papaerback and a spare t-shirt too.

I use hard weights and a single DIN tank supplied on site (I'll pack a yoke fitting if required). If need be I rent a thicker wetsuit, the BP and weight pockets work for up to 7mm for me, which is good for ~19C and I don't like diving anything colder than that anyway

I'm still thinking about getting some Apeks Flight regs though to lighten it a little. I tried some XL OMS Slipstream fins instead of the Jets but while they save weight they take up more room and I didn't think the tradeoff was worthwhile

If I'm travelling really light - work trips with some diving on the side - I just take a mask, computer or Aqualand watch & swimming trunks, and rent the rest - but I miss my BPW & fins :(

Ali Backplate and 30lb single tank wing.
Appropriate exposure suit - normally a 3mm full suit.
Force Fins Pro
Lightweight wetsuit booties
2x Cressi Big Eye masks
Scubapro Mk25 & S600 short hose.
Suunto D9
Small oral inflate DSMB and 30m finger reel.
3" Halcyon Titanium knife, on harness.
LED Back-up torch
Tropical gloves
Digital camera and housing

*Steel backplate with 40lb wing & twin cam bands - only if I plan to dive indie doubles.
* 2x Mk25 & S600 long hose for doubles.

3 mm Hyperstretch full wet suit with Halcyon pockets (glued on)
regular zippered boots
XL Jets
Scubapro 25 and 600 regs, 7 ft hose
yoke adapter
40 lb singles wing, SS plate with STA and 6 lb integrated lead weight
18W canister light and LED Scout
2 cam band pockets
thin gloves
Titanium knife
6 ft SMB with 100 ft spool
Uwatec bottom timer
low volume mask
tool kit and essentials (save a dive kit)
Mountain Coop mesh bag
Canister light and regs go in a carry on
and all the rest fits in a medium size luggage
total weight of luggage: 49 lbs.
Just 1 lb below the 50 lb limit of the carriers I use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom