HOG Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCTX50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have been in the market for sometime now for a new set of regulators. I have been doing a lot of reading and pricing. I currently dive ScubaPro and also Apeks regs. I have been looking at the HOG D1 reg sets. Dive Right in Scuba has some great pricing on them also. The HOG seems to be very similar to the Apeks. Most of my diving is in waters ranging from 60-80 degrees and never reaches temps lower than 40-45 degrees. Can any of you give me some insight on these regs?

I think they will be a solid purchase.

I currently have 12 Apeks US4/DS4 first stages with T20 and TX40/50 seconds that are all between 7 and 11 years old. I had the guy that does my reg work do a comparison with HOGs versus Apeks.

There were two keys differences he was able to point out to me: the chrome plating does not seem as thick as the Apeks. This was demonstrated by measuring the depth of some scratches were you could see the brass underneath. The HOG scratches weren't as deep before you see the brass underneath. The only other point he showed me was the keyed inlet in the plastic body of the second stage was not as tight (he called it sloppy) where the metal tube goes through. He said it's a non-issue provided the reg is assembled correctly and the tube doesn't get loosened inadvertently while changing a hose or something like that.

Based on that, I'm planning to sell all my Apeks over the course of time and switch to HOG. If I paid full price for Apeks rebuilds (I don't), I could almost buy a HOG for the cost of an Apeks rebuild.

Not sure exactly what you want to know, but here are some of my thoughts. (I have 3 sets)

- The main differences is cost. HOG tries to keep cost down while maintaining a great product.

- I've personally never had a problem with mine. I haven't heard of others having much trouble and there are others on the forums who dive theirs deeper and colder than I.

- The option for users to get a cert to do their own maintenance is unique to HOG. Dive Right In Scuba can hook you up if you have enough interest in your area.

- Customer service is pretty good. The owner is on these threads ever day or two.

- Not really any special tools required for service. Just basics. The second stage diaphragm can be easily cleaned underwater, if necessary. I know some of the Hogarthian / DIR folks prefer this so they can clear debris from a second stage while still underwater.

- Minor point is that you normally buy without a standard hose, so you just buy the long and short hoses and you don't have extra standard reg hoses lying around.

- The only issue I'm aware of is that the reg may leak some when turned 90 degress to a strong current or when looking to the side while using a scooter. There is a work-around, but this only affects a small number of users.

I have two 1st stage's and 3 2nd stages. I had a chance to try them out and loved them. Dive right in scuba has a classes on how to service your own regs. The second stage breaths sooo nice. I asked HOG/EDGE for a part for my 2nd stage because I lost it, they sent me a new 2nd stage!!!! WOW.... I have a lots of HOG stuff and it all works great.
Mike

I have a bunch of these, Doubles set, 2 x singles sets (me and the Empress) and 2 stage sets.

These things breath great, work fine and support is excellent.

Deepest and coldest for me is 175' and 55F.

The only thing worth mentioning is the Cold 1st stages are maybe a bit heavier than some other 1st stages.

I like them and would buy more.

Now if I could just get a service course going here in Australia!

I use the D1s as well on my doubles (and have used them on singles setups, also) and so far they have worked really well. I still prefer my MK17 for singles due to head clearance issues but for doubles they are absolutely great.

Peace,
Greg

The only other point he showed me was the keyed inlet in the plastic body of the second stage was not as tight (he called it sloppy) where the metal tube goes through. He said it's a non-issue provided the reg is assembled correctly and the tube doesn't get loosened inadvertently while changing a hose or something like that.

I found the same difference between the tighter Zeagle and Hog second stage. The Beuchat is a little sloppier than the Hog.

I use the D1s as well on my doubles (and have used them on singles setups, also) and so far they have worked really well. I still prefer my MK17 for singles due to head clearance issues but for doubles they are absolutely great.

Peace,
Greg

I had the same issues occasionally

When I first set up my singles regs I used the bottom port for the long hose and cocked the reg over to about 45 degrees so the long hose naturally routed down my right side.

I just tried swapping everything around and pointed the 5th port straight up and ran hoses off the sides of the turret. It actually sits nicely now with all hoses still tucked in nice and tight and way further away from your head.

Maybe worth a look for you.

My $0.02, I have a HOG 2nd and an Apex XTX50 1st and 2nd. The HOG works just as well below 100' as the Apex. Only issue is that it often free flows at the surface while hanging around my neck.

bunch of threads on this already, basically they're identical to the ATX50/DST, work just as fine, have better chrome *so I've been told, all I know is it's different*, and are easy to get the kits for. I have em and use em.

If it freeflows hanging around your neck the lever is too high or you don't have it flipped upside-down...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom