HOG reg questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the HOG Single Tank Hogarthian Reg Package from DGE and have a choice between the classic and the Zenith second stages (with minimal cost difference). What's the difference and what would your choice be. Why? Any input would be appreciated.

While the sand in the purge button and soft cover with a DPV issues have been covered well in the posts above, there is one more reason the Zenith is my clear choice over the D1.
There is a small design flaw in the D1 which has been corrected in the Zenith, that is only noticeable on servicing/adjustment: The barrel holding the poppet and lever is not locked into position like it is on a Scubapro for example, by a square end. Instead, it slides into position and is tightened with an external jam nut. When a hose is attached to the reg, it is possible to rotate the entire barrel by ~3-5 degrees from vertical. This is easily seen before you put the cover on and corrected. However, if a hose is replaced with the cover on, or a twist is left uncorrected, one leg of the lever will be higher than the other, creating increased friction at the diaphragm pad as well as possibly engaging with the diaphragm earlier than it should. It might even occur during normal dive use when a pressurized hose is stiff, if the jam nut is not tight enough.
When I was taking the service seminar from a HOG dealer, I noticed this problem during the tuning phase and I was told this has been corrected in the Zenith (though I haven't taken that version apart yet).

Back
Top Bottom