HOG or APEKS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCTX50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am in the market for a new set of regulators (1st and 2nd stages) My LDS pushes APEKS XTX 200. I have used APEKS before and have no issues with it. I have recently heard some good things about HOG. Can anyone out there put their $0.02 worth in on the subject? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

i would lean more towards the xtx 50
but hogs are decent too i don't dive either but when i was in the market a few months ago i did a lot of research ( i eventually went with scuba pro they were on sale ) i would go with scuba pro g250 great reg i love it . just my .02 $

Grab a Black Friday sale for HOG. Prices are awesome.

I replaced my Atomic with HOG and bought more HOGs and never looked back.

Hogs are alot cheaper. Kits are more redily available and service clinics are being offered to tech divers so I hear. A quick IP check wouldnt hurt in case they need to be tuned a bit. I havent breathed from one very deep yet but hear they do fine. Sand and grit getting under the purge button has been mentioned and I have 2 buds who have put Diverite faceplates on em to correct the problem, but HOG will be changing them soon as they are aware of the problem and its a cheap fix. There will always be loyal Apeks guys who will shun these "cheap knockoffs" as Ive heard them described, so its all about choice.

Go with what you can get serviced easiest. I went with Apeks because I can get them serviced within 15 minutes of my house. I did look at the HOG regs and would have bought them in an instant if I could have gotten them serviced by someone other than myself. If you do go with the Apeks, go for the XTX50, the difference between that and the XTX200 is minimal and if the 50 is tuned right you probably won't notice any difference.

Hog. No question. I talked to Chris yesterday and told him I would have snapped up one of the limited editions if I had the cash right now. I have them on my doubles and used them in 45 degree water to 83 so far. I have not had any sticking issues with the purge and that he or any hog dealer will sell me the kits is the icing on the cake. I will eventually be replacing my other 6 legs with hog or edge (their recreational line) because they respect my desire to do my own regs.

....I have nothing against HOGs, never used them (bought most of my regs before HOG's even existed and have no desire to waste $ replacing all my regs anyway) but I only have great things to say about Apeks XTX200's (I own 2), they're great performers and I'd use them anywhere! (I don't service my own regs, so while HOG parts are apparently readily available to end users, which is nice for HOG owners, it really doesn't matter to me.)

Grab a Black Friday sale for HOG. Prices are awesome.

I replaced my Atomic with HOG and bought more HOGs and never looked back.

Who's doing a black Friday sale on HOG regulators?

I was thinking of picking up a AL Titan, but if they are high quality regs for great prices, then I'm interested.

Does HOG have a small regulator like the Apeks Flight or AL Mikron?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom