HOG Heaven Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There is another thread going in Basic Scuba Discussions to set up a HOG configuration forum. Unfortunately, that thread has digressed to the level of unbareable and I really want to see a HOG forum for those of us who dive this configuration or part of or just want to learn more about it.

This configuration goes way beyond just the BC so it does not fit in that forum. It is also not strictly DIR or Tech and therefore it does not fit in those forums either.

I personally dive a form of the HOG configuration for my recreational diving. I do not know what parts of my configuration are not HOG since I have not cared to look it up. I do know that my configuration makes sense for me and is safe and that is all that matters to me.

But, there may be ideas from other divers that I could learn from in a HOG centric forum.

Anyone else interested?

Thanks

Brian

Absolutely. I recently completed IANTD's advanced nitrox/recreational trimix class, and spent a weekend taking DIR-F while that was going on. I'm fairly new to diving a hog rig, and while a lot of what I learned in DIR-F made good sense to me, a lot of it seemed to be more useful for dives I don't ever intend to do.

My girlfriend is taking the academic final for her OW certification tonight, and will be doing the checkout dives soon, so I expect I'll be spending a good deal of my dive time in the coming years on exploration within basic recreational depths. Especially so since it looks like I might finally have access to a boat that's moored within a few miles of some rocks that have wrecked over 100 ships.

I like a lot of what I learned in DIR-F, and I'm very glad to have taken the class, but I couldn't quite swallow the proverbial kool-aid. It'll be good having this here to bat around ideas as I settle into a configuration that works best not for all possible types of diving, but for all of the dives I'm likely to do within what I think of as "extended" recreational limits.

I'm for it.

I've seen some very strange permutations out there, which leads me to believe that people experiment a lot with different gear configurations. Having a place to discuss what works and what doesn't ... outside the confines of what's DIR (or not) ... would be useful.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What do Harley Davidsons have to do with diving? Is this a quarry thing where you look for the motorcycle? Pete, is diving a modified HOG some kind of new DPV I don't know about...I just don't see the need for another forum for Harley owners...:D

(I couldn't resist)...:D

Yup, I think the forum is a good idea.

My basic introduction to Hogarthian rigs came from my decompression class, but after reflecting on the topic I realized that I had been reading about this style of rig here on the scubaboard for a while, I had just never put the pieces together. I had always assumed that this style of configuration was DIR, and DIR only.

So again, I vote yes for a Hogarthian forum. Call it whatever you want, but the key is to let others know about it.

Mark Vlahos

Quarrior:
I personally dive a form of the HOG configuration for my recreational diving. [snip] But there may be ideas from other divers that I could learn from in a HOG centric forum. Anyone else interested?
Brian, I'm in. I'm just now ready to move out of a BC and into harness. The more information I can find, the more questions I see, the better for me.

And it'd be grand to have the discussion in a forum where we assume that there may be more than one useful answer to any given question about kit.

Fin on,
Bryan

PS: I'll be diving with some semi-hogs in San Diego later this month. I'll be asking lots of questions while I'm there.

Another yes...

bwerb:
What do Harley Davidsons have to do with diving? Is this a quarry thing where you look for the motorcycle? Pete, is diving a modified HOG some kind of new DPV I don't know about...I just don't see the need for another forum for Harley owners...:D

Actually, all the rental DPV's at my LDS have Harley Davidson stickers on them...

Do the many hours spent on my Heritage (former love before scuba came around) in pouring down rain qualify for underwater motorcylce riding? :D

bwerb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom