HOG D3 vs Deep 6 Signature doubles reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious, what aspects of Scubapro/Halcyon/Apeks units are notably better than the comparable HOG/D6s in your findings?

For me it’s reliability- I’ve had many issues with IP creep with D6, Apeks have always worked, after hundreds of dives no issues. I know many people who have had the same issues and much better results with Scubapro/Halcyon or Apeks. I would also say that Apeks breath better- I still have some D6 in the mix as stage regs and going directly from Apeks to D6 is quite noticeable, even after adjustments. I will say that D6 has always fixed any issues seamlessly.

For me it’s reliability- I’ve had many issues with IP creep with D6, Apeks have always worked, after hundreds of dives no issues. I know many people who have had the same issues and much better results with Scubapro/Halcyon or Apeks. I would also say that Apeks breath better- I still have some D6 in the mix as stage regs and going directly from Apeks to D6 is quite noticeable, even after adjustments. I will say that D6 has always fixed any issues seamlessly.
Interesting, thank you. I really have not heard much about issues with the D6s. My HOGs have been good so far but not a ton of dives. I have one first that needs a tweak (runs a little hot - around 150psi), I was going to do the service class (but COVID) and was saving it as a "victim." I think I'll open it up and tweak it down a tad.

Just an update to anyone who comes across the same dilemma as I did,

I have decided to go with the deep 6 signatures since it has an improved design and better materials over HOG and I believe that it is a really good value for money.

Will update on its performance once it arrives in a few weeks and once i've gotten it wet

My dive group uses both d6 signature and and Hog d3. We have found that the materials in the D6 rebuild kit are superior (specifically the HP seat in the first stage). The last two hog 1st we serviced were rebuilt using the D6 kit.

There are multiple subtle differences between the hog and D6 that are worth mentioning. The angle of the hp port on certain generations of hog D3 is different and could be advantageous in certain sidemount configurations. Some generations of the D3 have an incorrectly milled part resulting in the DIN oring falling out too easy. Some generations of the D3 have a replaceable HP orifice. Finally the finish of the reg, Zinc chromate on the hog or the PD finish on the D6.

Just an update to anyone who comes across the same dilemma as I did,

I have decided to go with the deep 6 signatures since it has an improved design and better materials over HOG and I believe that it is a really good value for money.

Will update on its performance once it arrives in a few weeks and once i've gotten it wet
HK based diver here and I run the deep 6 signature DIR setup for singe backmount. Converting over to twins and ordering another deep signature first stage. The distance is annoying but Landon and the other guys at deep 6 are great in terms of customer service and alwyas quick to reply. I also dive their excursion (Crest cr4 hardware which is super common in HK/SG, but they do their own firmware development) computer and really like that, especially with the new firmware! Big fan of Deep6

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom