HOG D3 vs Deep 6 Signature doubles reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverwin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys,

I am currently preparing to dive doubles. I currently have a regulator setup from the H for singles ready but I find that it is really expensive to purchase another set of H regs. I also plan on moving into tech diving in the future. I have heard good things about both regulators but cant decide between both. Below are some considerations.

Considerations:
1) I currently reside in Singapore, South East Asia. I mostly do tropical dives (20-30 deg celsius, horrendous murky waters <3m visibility most days) now and plan to take up drysuit some time in like 1-2 years to dive overseas.

2) Cost: I am trying to lower cost - should I just purchase a full doubles reg setup? Or convert my single setup? But I do want to do tech diving in the future, so I might need the extra regs for deco.

HOG D3 doubles package - US$821.98
Deep 6 Signature doubles package - US$1032.44

3) Serviceability: There is a local dive shop that services HOG regulators, but there are none that I know of currently that services deep 6 regulators.
However, I am down to learn to service the regs myself and am willing to learn, but I am afraid that there might not be any support to learn or that I will mess up the regs.

4) I also am planning on following the GUE route to tech/cave - not that it matters that much now, but I hope that the regs that I purchase now grows with me as I progress into tech.

Let me know what you guys think! Look forward to hearing from you guys :)

Reactions: OTF
H is Halcyon? You already have one first stage and two second stages? If yes then you only need another first stage and some hoses for doubles. That would be the most cost effective solution. When you are actually ready for stages and deco bottles then you can buy more regs.

Just to get it out of the way, the HOG (D3s and Classic/Zenith 2nds) and the Deep 6 Signature regs are based on the same fundamental design and are produced by the same facility. Deep 6 utilizes supposedly higher performance coatings and some internal material and subtle design improvements (2nd stage turbine poppets.)

I happen have HOG D1s, D3s, Classics and Zeniths. I started in with them slightly before Deep 6 landed with their regs.

1) HOG D-Series (newer, sealed) or Deep 6 regs are great for the murky stuff since they are sealed diaphragms and why I went with the HOGs instead of a comparably price Aqualung travel-type regulator. In the local quarry, there are times where arms length is the practical limit for seeing.

2) My opinion: If you can swing it, buy the doubles set. Then you have backup components, and you can always easily reconfigure one of the doubles regs as a pony regulator for use with your singles reg set.

3) Part of the value proposition has been that Deep 6 includes the first service and parts kits for free, however that means sending them back and forth to Deep 6 which is probably less practical from where you are. Remote service training can be had for both. I personally am waiting to do an in-person class with Jim Lapenta (who actually wrote the Deep 6 service manual) if possible (COVID and 6 Hours of travel time complicating things.)

4) I'll let the GUE folks answer that.

If you intend to continue single-tank diving, keep the existing set for that, and buy a doubles set for doubles diving. It can be annoying to switch hoses around for a few days of single-tank diving, then switch them around again for a few days of double-tank diving, etc.

As for the GUE question, I have used HOG regs through my GUE path so far, as have other people. HOG and Deep6 are just fine. Nobody in the GUE world cares if your regs are Halcyon, HOG, Deep6, Apeks or whatever. The only reg brand I heard a GUE instructor discourage a GUE diver from acquiring was Poseidon, not because they aren't good regs but because they use what I believe is called an "upstream" valve rather than the more standard "downstream" valve.

If you intend to continue single-tank diving, keep the existing set for that, and buy a doubles set for doubles diving. It can be annoying to switch hoses around for a few days of single-tank diving, then switch them around again for a few days of double-tank diving, etc.

I have heard other people say this as well and I just don’t understand? It takes less then two minutes, super easy.

Not that there is anything wrong with Hog/D6, Scubapro/Halcyon/Apeks is a huge step up, I wouldn’t relegate my good regs for a dedicated single tank setup just to buy additional cheap regs for my doubles.

Also if you are an aspiring tech diver I would be diving the doubles at every opportunity, comfort in configuration takes time.

there isn't a huge difference if the regs are all tuned the same and aren't exhibiting problems. I have separate sets from hog, apeks, and scubapro and use them interchangeably.

[snip]
Not that there is anything wrong with Hog/D6, Scubapro/Halcyon/Apeks is a huge step up, I wouldn’t relegate my good regs for a dedicated single tank setup just to buy additional cheap regs for my doubles.
[snip]
I am curious, what aspects of Scubapro/Halcyon/Apeks units are notably better than the comparable HOG/D6s in your findings?

Apples to apples would be most relevant - i.e. current,comparable sealed diaphragm firsts and "standard style" seconds (i.e no Pistons {different conversation}, special ice regs, unique styles {like the D420}, edge-cases like blocked rebreather use, etc.)

I am curious, what aspects of Scubapro/Halcyon/Apeks units are notably better than the comparable HOG/D6s in your findings?

Apples to apples would be most relevant - i.e. current,comparable sealed diaphragm firsts and "standard style" seconds (i.e no Pistons {different conversation}, special ice regs, unique styles {like the D420}, edge-cases like blocked rebreather use, etc.)

Are there any differences in terms of performance for HOG/D6s VS Scubapro/Halcyon/Apeks?

Just to get it out of the way, the HOG (D3s and Classic/Zenith 2nds) and the Deep 6 Signature regs are based on the same fundamental design and are produced by the same facility. Deep 6 utilizes supposedly higher performance coatings and some internal material and subtle design improvements (2nd stage turbine poppets.)

I happen have HOG D1s, D3s, Classics and Zeniths. I started in with them slightly before Deep 6 landed with their regs.

1) HOG D-Series (newer, sealed) or Deep 6 regs are great for the murky stuff since they are sealed diaphragms and why I went with the HOGs instead of a comparably price Aqualung travel-type regulator. In the local quarry, there are times where arms length is the practical limit for seeing.

2) My opinion: If you can swing it, buy the doubles set. Then you have backup components, and you can always easily reconfigure one of the doubles regs as a pony regulator for use with your singles reg set.

3) Part of the value proposition has been that Deep 6 includes the first service and parts kits for free, however that means sending them back and forth to Deep 6 which is probably less practical from where you are. Remote service training can be had for both. I personally am waiting to do an in-person class with Jim Lapenta (who actually wrote the Deep 6 service manual) if possible (COVID and 6 Hours of travel time complicating things.)

4) I'll let the GUE folks answer that.

Thanks for the input JD. I will probably just get a full doubles set.

For HOG, I managed to find the regulator technician course/module for remote learning and it comes with the option to get a toolkit specifically for servicing if I don't have one. Does Deep 6 have the same option/remote learning? I tried searching up for D6 remote learning technician course but couldn't find any results. I have also asked Landon from D6 the same question but he hasn't got back to me.

Back to the main topic, a summarized question I would like to ask with the considerations from the original post: If you guys were in my position, would you guys go with the D6 or the HOG?

Deep 6 reg service manual is on their website and it lists all the tools required.

There are some good videos on Youtube:

not unless you hook them up to a machine. servo regs breathe differently, but downstream balanced regs all act very similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom