Hog D1, updside down breathing is difficult

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All regulators, not just Hog, will operate within the laws of physics and the table below is exactly correct for all regulators. Good design can perhaps ameliorate the differences but not eliminate them:

single_vs_double_hose.jpg

N

I notice WoB deltas with body orientation only on exhalation, not on inhalation, so long as the diaphragm is in the same position relative to the mouthpiece. I dive Poseidons so it doesn't matter at all my trim in the water, only if I am leaning left or right. With hose coming from the right, it is easier to inhale when I roll to the left because diaphragm is lower than the mouthpiece, and harder when I roll to the right, same conclusion Halocline has come to.

The chart is right when it comes to double hoses in relation to lung position only because it conveniently coincides with mouthpiece position. The mouthpiece position relative to the diaphragm is what matters most, but in a double hose the lung position is critical because similar to a CCR you are breathing against ambient pressure air through the loop hoses. Not the case in a single hose regulator.

What the others are saying can easily be disproved with a double hose. Measure WoB in the water with the double hose, then flip the tank over 180* and measure it again. Total WoB will be higher when the regulator is upside-down.

The left column is dh and the right is sh and is correct as depicted for both double and single hose regulators. N

I watched Steve Martin doing a lot of (reverse trim) or basically dive with his back against bottom and face toward surface. I tried to do that twice and almost got suffocated. once in a single backmount, then, 6 months later in a sidemount (2 tanks). no more cirque du soleil for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom