HOG Classic 2nd stage service manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took Rob Singler's course and, while it was not specific to the HOG regulators, I believe that it covered far more in making me competent (to start to learn more :wink: ) than any manufacture-limited class would.

I would love to have access to the HOG manuals for the manufacturer-specific torque specs and model-specific info.

As the course is specifically working on the regulator by that company (and they are different), and as the cert issued specifically says either HOG or Deep6 (I did both), I don't think it is going to work the way you want...
Oh well. My impression has been that the HOG and Deep6 regs are sufficiently similar in design that training on one would enable you to service the other, and I had hoped that since the companies have a founder in common they might recognize that. But it would be fine with me to take the Deep6 course as well. There were some "tricks" I learned in the HOG course that may be somewhat specific to the design, and that may similarly be true of Deep6 design. I don't know.

I took the service course at Divers Supply (which owns what I believe is a majority stake in Edge-HOG) at their Atlanta-area location. But I usually buy my service kits from DRIS, because I don't see them on Divers Supply's website. One time I happened to be in the Divers Supply store in Macon, GA, and wanted to buy service kits. The clerk (who could have been an owner for all I know) wanted to see my card showing I had completed the course. I didn't have the card on me, but I convinced him I had actually taken the course, and he relented and sold me the kits. It is a bit of a hassle, but maybe it's not a bad compromise for them in view of what your source said is an insurance issue.

I also bought some Deep6 regs recently, and I'm really hoping that having taken the HOG course is sufficient to enable me to buy kits and obtain the service manual.

Deep 6 has been pretty publicly pragmatic about being trained - without opining if HOG-traininig would be considered sufficient:
@stiebs We just want to see you have some training, rob is an excellent instructor and his training is more than sufficient. He wrote the service manual.

I applaud them for that.

and @rhwestfall , I believe the latest manual (by Rob) is on the D6 website.

Here's a comparison of the HOG and D6 kits - HOG has more parts as I believe it covers more than one model.

IMG_0690.JPEG

I would think if you took a class for one you could easily apply that knowledge for servicing the other.

Additional update. I spoke directly to Bob yesterday at the 2023 Beneath The Sea show. They will only provide access to the manual through the official HOG service class. :(

While I understand that is probably driven by liability reasons, my strong suspicion is that far more HOG regs are going to be serviced by both owners and shop technicians that are not "officially" trained on a very good, but non "bread-and-butter," brand. I have to wonder if providing the information freely would actually lower the total failure incidence. Exploded views with part numbers and torque-values (like Scuba-Pro does) are not service instructions but merely parts-ordering aids and specifications.

Back
Top Bottom