HOG Classic 2nd stage service manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gulfcoaster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Could someone please provide a link to the service manual (with exploded diagrams and part numbers and all that kind of nerd candy) for the HOG Classic 2nd stage?

I cannot find it

So I cannot get any literature or parts without taking a class? Geez

The HOG service manuals are sadly locked down tighter than a supermax prison.

-Z

I'd also be keen on a manual/diagram for HOG D1 first and 2nd stage.

Surely someone is brave enough to release the super secret documents?

HOG is only sort of DIY friendly:

HOG does not widely promote self-service, they do, however, offer a course that non-shop techs can take to become "certified" to work on their own HOG regulators. They are quite strict on having the "proper" tools on-hand to work on the regs including a magnehelic gauge.

Why HOG is often mistaken for being more widely DIY friendly is because they do not restrict their dealers from selling service kits to the public, like most of the major brands do. If a shop selling their equipment decides that one should be "certified" to work on HOG regulators prior to them selling service kits to customers, HOG would contend that this is an issue between the shop and the customer. I am not 100%, but pretty sure, that Divers Supply down in Georgia (which either owns or is owned by Edge-HOG) does not sell service kits for HOG regulators unless the person has taken the maintenance course, I do not see kits for sale on their website. But, Dive Rite In Scuba (DRIS) sells HOG regulator service kits in-store and on their website.

So, yes, one can obtain service kits and perhaps parts if a shop is willing to sell them to you, but only as function of Edge-HOG not restricting their dealers/vendors from selling them.

Again I am not 100%, but it is also my understanding that Deep6 used to openly sell their regulator service kits but in the past few years began restricting sales to those who have taken their regulator maintenance course.

I have been told by a source inside the company that the reason why the service manual(s) are not made available is due to an insurance policy issue for Edge-HOG. Their insurance provider will not allow them to publicly publish the manuals. They provide access to those who have passed their course and ask that those who have access to not share them with those who have not taken the course.

-Z

I am not 100%, but pretty sure, that Divers Supply down in Georgia, which either owns or is owned by Edge-HOG does not sell service kits for HOG regulators unless the person has taken the maintenance course, I do not see kits for sale on their website. But, Dive Rite In Scuba (DRIS) sells HOG regulator service kits in-store and on their website.
I took the service course at Divers Supply (which owns what I believe is a majority stake in Edge-HOG) at their Atlanta-area location. But I usually buy my service kits from DRIS, because I don't see them on Divers Supply's website. One time I happened to be in the Divers Supply store in Macon, GA, and wanted to buy service kits. The clerk (who could have been an owner for all I know) wanted to see my card showing I had completed the course. I didn't have the card on me, but I convinced him I had actually taken the course, and he relented and sold me the kits. It is a bit of a hassle, but maybe it's not a bad compromise for them in view of what your source said is an insurance issue.

I also bought some Deep6 regs recently, and I'm really hoping that having taken the HOG course is sufficient to enable me to buy kits and obtain the service manual.

I also bought some Deep6 regs recently, and I'm really hoping that having taken the HOG course is sufficient to enable me to buy kits and obtain the service manual.
As the course is specifically working on the regulator by that company (and they are different), and as the cert issued specifically says either HOG or Deep6 (I did both), I don't think it is going to work the way you want...

Though the Deep6 manual is available from their site w/o restriction (IIRC).

Back
Top Bottom