HOG 21 watt hid maintenance??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Reading the forums and talking to local tek divers, I've settled on the HOG 21 watt HID. I dive cold water, murky conditions and am fed up with backscatter from my eLed 800 lumen light. It's great under the right conditions, but I need more beam to punch through at times. The question I cannot find the answer to is "What maintenance issues do I need to be aware of?" I dive mostly freshwater but when I do dive salt, all my gear is washed before I think about anything else. If the family wants dinner, then they know they must help me unload and wash gear. They usually don't hang around long. Thanks for the advice!!

I would go with powerfull leds instead of HID's ! No more fragile test tubes, bulbs and ballasts it is almost bulletproof ;-)) .... Look under :

MB SUB -VB-CAVE : MBSUB VB50 Cave on test - DIR Explorers or

LIGHT-FOR-ME : TEK ONE 4H Li-Ion I build similar myself DIY and have alot of punch and good beam (my gallery)

also could chechk some other manufacturers and tests from link in my signiture ;-) DIVE LIGHTING LIBRARY

It's an awesome light, and the care you are giving your gear right now will suffice. HIDs have an underwater punch through the murkiness that the lower temperature LEDs just can't match. Fortunately, they have become incredibly reliable and robust over the years and HOG's is no exception.

One thing I advise as far as maintenance goes is to rinse and dry the latches thoroughly. Especially if diving salt water. And after doing so put a light coat of some kind of protectant, I use silicone spray applied with a paint brush used for model cars, to the latches and especially the springs. Same as I do with bolt snaps. The springs are small and could corrode if you allowed salt to build up in them. Silicone spray or light lithium grease really makes a difference and keeps junk from building up on them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

It's an awesome light, and the care you are giving your gear right now will suffice. HIDs have an underwater punch through the murkiness that the lower temperature LEDs just can't match. Fortunately, they have become incredibly reliable and robust over the years and HOG's is no exception.

:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom