Hobby or Sport???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sport connotes an element of competition.

Sadly, we are heading in that direction, but we are not there yet.

The dictionary definition of "sport" is so broad that canasta and chess are included, as well as scuba diving. My personal definition of sport requires a measure of competition and physical prowess; on these two points, scuba fails, at least at the level that I participate. If the morbidly obese can participate, it's not a sport, not in my opinion.

That's exactly how I see it.

I would expand sport to include physical activities that might not include an element of competition (external anyways). Solitary handball, trail running, rollerblading, hiking etc... I do however agree that chess is not a sport.

I recently had someone quite upset at me because I called cave diving an "extreme sport."

All connotations aside, as a researcher and writer, I have learned to rely on definitions. Without definitions, nothing means anything to anyone. I try to be careful when writing professionally to use definitions to make sure my readers all get the same message.

According to Merriam-Webster, "sport" is a noun created in the 15th century with many meanings. Among these are
-a source of diversion
-physical activity engaged in for pleasure

Both of these definitions easily apply to scuba diving. Therefore, scuba diving is most definitely a sport. Anyone who declares otherwise needs to provide their own definitions, and I must admit to trusting Merriam-Webster's definitions over "Ol' Joe's Book of Definitions"...In other words, I see the importance of using an outside source for definitions, over an individual determining definitions to fit their argument, without using an outside source.

However, is is certainly fair to say "To most people, the term 'sport' conjures up images of competition. Scuba diving, while recognized as a sport under many common definitions such as those used by Merriam-Webster, typically does not have any competition. Therefore, many people arbitrarily decide that scuba diving does not qualify as a sport, ignoring what the dictionaries say."

Source

Therefore, wood working and carving is also a sport.

According to Merriam-Webster, "sport" is a noun created in the 15th century with many meanings. Among these are
-a source of diversion

So by this definition, what would not be a sport? Is reading a good book a sport?

The dictionary definition of "sport" is so broad that canasta and chess are included, as well as scuba diving. My personal definition of sport requires a measure of competition and physical prowess; on these two points, scuba fails, at least at the level that I participate. If the morbidly obese can participate, it's not a sport, not in my opinion.

I agree too...therefore, I call it a very fun hobby.

I think for most it is clearly a hobby.....or as others said a passion or lifestyle

For others, such as cave explores, deep dive record holders or extreme altitude it could be considered a sport...

There is huge difference between a family reef dive at 20 feet in Key Largo and descending 400 feet to the wreck of the HMS Britannic.....

Just my thoughts....M

All connotations aside, as a researcher and writer, I have learned to rely on definitions. Without definitions, nothing means anything to anyone. I try to be careful when writing professionally to use definitions to make sure my readers all get the same message. ...In other words, I see the importance of using an outside source for definitions, over an individual determining definitions to fit their argument, without using an outside source.
I agree with all of this, and have even made the same argument in other contexts here on Scubaboard.

However, is is certainly fair to say "To most people, the term 'sport' conjures up images of competition. Scuba diving, while recognized as a sport under many common definitions such as those used by Merriam-Webster, typically does not have any competition. Therefore, many people arbitrarily decide that scuba diving does not qualify as a sport, ignoring what the dictionaries say."
Why do you think this is so? Consulting a dictionary that was printed a decade or two ago might yield some insight. The "English is constantly evolving" crowd has, in the intervening time, expanded the definition of sport to include non-physical diversions; xboxers are athletes, not couch potatoes! It seems the epidemic of obesity and laziness has insinuated itself into the language. Fine, we need to further evolve the language and coin a word for what used to be sport--the thing athletes did that qualified them as athletes. Any ideas?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom