Hobby or Sport???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok so I guess that this question has been asked time and time again and I will probably get shot down for bringing this up but I want to hear it from you.

Many people do it just for giggles on holidays but some of us take it seriously especially as it can be challenging mentally and physically at depth.

Is recreational scuba diving a hobby or a sport???

:idk:

Like, Tammy, since discovering scuba, it IS a lifetime passion!

sport, and a very expensive one

Hobby, except for teh lugging of gear to the water's edge, there is no goal to reach on each dive, or physical exertion expended to make the dive. Show me the competion between two or more divers that make it a sport.

But, on the other hand, it is a physical activity done outdoors (usually, indoor pools are an exception).

For me it is neither a sport nor a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've always said hobby but I'm sure any minute you'll start seeing the definitions begin to fly. The great thing is it really doesn't matter now does it?

Depends on the diver.

For me it is sometimes a hobby (I like tinkering in my garage, reading old books and learning about the gear, history and techniques). Sometimes it is a sport in that it provideds a framework for my routine exercise activities (mostly cardio and core strengthening). Sometimes it's a social activity (I enjoy discussions here and meeting other divers in person). Sometimes it's an escape, my "thing" or "downtime" where I am not seeing to the daily responsabilities of married with kids life. And some times it's an adventure. Unlike a lot of other adventures that require extensive travel and expense, one needs only step a couple of feet off the beaten path (the surface) almost anywhere in the world to be in a foreign environment that 90% of society hasn't encountered before.

call it whatever you want, as long you do it and do it right!

The dictionary definition of "sport" is so broad that canasta and chess are included, as well as scuba diving. My personal definition of sport requires a measure of competition and physical prowess; on these two points, scuba fails, at least at the level that I participate. If the morbidly obese can participate, it's not a sport, not in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom