Hmm...taking a mannequin to prom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You all keep telling me to take a girl. What girl? I'm in a class of 15, about half are girls. I hate to sound judgemental, but I wouldn't go out with any of them. I wouldn't even take them to prom!

And taking my sister? I don't have a sister.

As far as wasting the money, I don't want to spend any money if I can avoid it :) I was hoping someone would have one I could borrow. And spending a little bit of cash for a laugh is worthwhile in my opinion, but not much money. I already have a tux and seniors get free tickets, so I've not spent any money on prom yet :)

I think it sounds like a great idea.

Unfortunately I don't know of a mannequien, but have you checked with any of retailers in your area? Maybe they have one they would loan you. Or a couple that are broken and you could piece back together?

Cheekymonkey:
Well if you were 18 I would have an idea for you... but ...

hott teacher?

JimLap:
What's the big deal about prom unless you know you are going to get lucky. 5 years from now you will wonder why you even wasted the money. It could have went in a killer radio for the truck, new dive gear, air fills, or put towards that week in Bonaire. It's like reunions. My class has never had one and I would not go anyway. I graduated with 435 other kids.

I'll second that.

Save your money, and avoid getting a reputation as the school head-case.

Take $25 go get a nice burger, see a movie and figure you got a good deal.

I graduated in 75, from a really small school and blew off my prom. I can tell you with absolute certainty that this whole thing only matters to you nobody else in the school cares at all whether you go, and by the time you get to college nobody will even remember if you went.

However, I can tell you that if you do something really bizzare, everybody will remember you (not in a good way) for the rest of your life as "the kid who did <whatever>".

Go have fun somewhere else and put the money towards some equipment or a reallly fun trip.

Terry

Cheeky Monkey--I'll be 18 in 6 days, and prom is in...11? But, I ain't hiring a prostitute! However, if someone's got a really great idea, I'll take it! Note: inflatable animals and hot teachers are NOT good ideas! Also, you are still a student at UCF, right? I'll be going therein the fall. I just got into the Honors College a few weeks back.

Cynde- I've bought alot of scuba gear off craigslist. Some guy is selling a dress form for $80, but no mannequin. I've also been watching freecycle.

As far as no one caring if I go to prom, I know several of my friends and teachers will care. I'm in a very visible position at the school--I'm the vice president of Student Government, which puts on the prom. I teach a tech class as a part of drama, and am in charge of the sound system, which will be playing the music at prom. The juniors set up and run prom, but I've got my hands in almost every event that goes on at the school. Also, it'll only cost me whatever I have to pay for gas, so I'm planning on going and having a good time. I don't think I'll dance with anyone, but I own a tux (coattails!) and figure what the heck, might as well go, right?

And I WANT to be remembered as the school "clown" of sorts. I'm the guy who spent the night at the school filling the office with almost a thousand balloons. I'm the guy who wore a kilt to school one day, and didn't get in trouble. If I show up with a mannequin, people will remember "Ah, Michael Gibby...filled the office with balloons and I hear he took a mannequin to prom!"

As far as putting money to it: I don't really want to buy a mannequin. I'm looking for a really low cost way to do something unconventional yet memorable. :)

ok....what is up with scubagrrl'y going skiiing instead of diving?

She mad?

:D

hehehe. Nope putting away the skis now and praying for warm weather so I can get the dive gear out.

Been perusing the travel sections for our next vacation which will of course be a dive vacation.

I have fun both under the water (warm) and on top of the water (when it's frozen). No ice diving for me :10:

JahJah have you checked with any retailers in the area? How about your LDS? I know mine has a couple of mannequins that they display wet suits on. Maybe yours would have one they could "loan" you or again a couple broken ones in the back?

Back
Top Bottom