Hitting the big five-oh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fobturbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today, I hit the big five-oh. Yes I know it's a relatively small number in comparison to others, but still a milestone for me. Most of the dives were racked up this year, and in some of the dives I definitely have a better grasp of exactly how much I don't know.

Earlier this year, I decided that I wanted to make PADI Master Diver (go ahead and scoff). With just under half of the necessary dives and almost half of the specialties racked up, I figured this would be doable. As the year draws to a close, I did not meet this goal. The only thing I'm lacking is the Rescue course. And the only reason is because I decided to wait for my preferred instructor to teach it again in mid January. Once I do get it though, I will definitely add it to my ever growing card collection.

I want to give Kristina a big thank you for taking me to Pt. Lobos today for my first time. Definitely special to me as I racked #50 & #51. Even a pair of dolphins came to say hello briefly, before they disappeared. Perhaps they overheard some divers from Anywater Sports talking about spear fishing in the area and decided to flee? Being a protected area, the sealife there is soooooooo abundant. At times there was so much of it competing for attention, it was almost overwhelming, and that's before adding in the krill that was even more abundant than the non-scented Tide foam at the surface.

The dreaded boat ramp I had heard so much about was nothing like the stuff of my nightmares. This would be because it had been hosed earlier, that and it was high tide. The water did look like someone had poured Tide in with a big patch of foam in the area, too bad it didn't leave a nice fresh scent on all of my gear.

I met Michelle & Paula for the first time today before our 1st dive. They gave us a good description on how to get to middle reef, but I think amongst the talk about (leopard?) sharks hanging out in the sandy area just east of Middle Reef and trying to find Itchy & Scratchy, Kristina and I meandered our way just outside of Middle Reef. The surge was definitely there, getting tossed around like were in a washing machine (again no fresh scent afterwards). After 58 minutes of searching and not finding any sharks nor Itchy & Scratchy, we end the dive. As we hit the surface, we see that Michelle, Paula and others are off on their first dive. Swimming on our backs, Kristina makes it towards the ramp, gets her fins off and walks up without trouble. Being myself, I take a nice wide pattern, zigging and zagging every direction but straight towards the ramp. I finally get close to the ramp and prepare to take off my fins, only my primary isn't in my hand and I don't feel like searching for it (lazy). Luckily, I know my octo is bungied around my neck and grab it without issue. The next 5 minutes I do my routine impression of a beached whale in distress, rolling and thrashing (and adding to the already abundant foam) as I try to get my fins off. I swear, once my boots are in my fins, it's as if they never want to become separated and are a PITA to take off.

Up in the parkinglot, I got to meet Brewski and wifey (sorry, I forgot your name, though the way you telling Brewski to get you your spare batteries, shall I start referring you to Brewski's boss? as they were talking about yesterday's happenings, I hear the (nearly always applicable) great advice of keep your regulator in your mouth no matter what.

After some more chatting and joking around, Kristina and I decided to follow the West wall out as it offered more protection from the surge. This turned out to be the better of the two dives (for me anyways). Surge is there, but it wasn't nearly as bad, and was almost enjoyable. Time it right, you can spread your arms out like wings and get pushed forward like you're flying, only not really. Along the way our, we did see what I believe to be a lingcod big enough to do some hurtin to either one of us if it wanted to. It was just sitting there almost vertical on a boulder. We were so pre-occupied looking for nudi's that we almost missed it. There was a bit of a harrowing moment--after we got separated, we surfaced and discovered we were just outside of the two large rocks. We decide to start heading back on the surface, but the waves were a bit big and the rocks were bit more solid than my head than I would like, so we decide descend and try our luck. It was better, only the surge kicked up lots of bubbles and once again we got separated. As I was trying to make my way back, I had to put one hand on my reg, and my other forearm in front of my face (I don't like it when things are harder than my head) lest I run the risk of getting a few more bumps on me noggin. After surfacing and meeting up with Kristina we made our way back to the ramp. And in my true fashion, I take the "scenic route" to the ramp, though this time I made sure to hold onto my primary, even when I wasn't using it.

Apparently, Kristina wasn't happy with a pair of (already broken in) paddle fins that she won at a gift exchanged, and when she found another (single) one, she wanted to pose with her prize:

showfull.php

With such a highlight, I may hang up my fins for a bit, and enjoy the snow season. Looking forward to next year, I may go to the dark side, and try my hand at warm water diving, if I do, pray I don't start complaining that I feel naked with out a drysuit/7mm wetsuit :dork2:

Last edited:
Thanks Matt, had a good time. I'm sorry I wasn't able to bring that fin back in, the ocean seemed to really want to keep it. It had a broken spring strap, there was nothing on it that I could attach in any way to me, and I couldn't carry it for the whole dive with all the surge under my arm or in my hand. So, if you've lost the fin in the picture, try the very left side of whaler's cove.

It was nice to meet you Matt. Don't hang up the SCUBA gear for the season! We still have lots of great diving to be had this winter!

Congrats on the big 50 Matt! It was nice meeting you Sun and I agree with Paula...don't hang up your fins for the season. Winter diving can be some of the best. Can't you dive one weekend and go to the snow the next? Afterall, we do live in Calif. :D

Congrats on the big 50 Matt! It was nice meeting you Sun and I agree with Paula...don't hang up your fins for the season. Winter diving can be some of the best. Can't you dive one weekend and go to the snow the next? Afterall, we do live in Calif. :D

It was nice to meet you Matt. Don't hang up the SCUBA gear for the season! We still have lots of great diving to be had this winter!
Michelle, Paula, haha typo there. I meant that I'll probably hang up my fins for the month and pick things up in Jan or so. SCUBA is a lot cheaper than snowboarding right now. But if there's even rumours of another sea nettle invasion during winter, I'll be grabbing my snowboard and heading for the slopes.

Try some silicone spray in the foot pocket of your fins. It wil make them
easier to get on and off.
Thanks Chuck, I will look into that. Another thought that occurred is perhaps I should drill some small holes in the foot pockets to break the suction?

Matt, congratulations hitting 50. :balloons: Sounds like you had some great dives at Lobos. I wish I could have been there with you. You may not recall, but I did my 50th when I dove BW with you last month. :happy:

Thanks Eric. I remembered you mentioning you were doing #50 that day, but I was so tired things didn't really click. I hope you didn't consider those dives too boring...though I'm sure you'll be having fun with Essentials.

Matt, congratulations hitting 50. :balloons: Sounds like you had some great dives at Lobos. I wish I could have been there with you. You may not recall, but I did my 50th when I dove BW with you last month. :happy:

Congrats on #50! Great report too.

Btw, that Jet Fin, ping Kathy. Could be hers!

Congratulations on your 50th dive! That's exciting. I think we share just about the same number of cold water dives :wink:!

It had a broken spring strap, there was nothing on it that I could attach in any way to me

Btw, that Jet Fin, ping Kathy. Could be hers!

Ouch I miss my fin but I've already replaced it, and now have 2 pairs of med jets (Kristina gets one), 1.5 pairs of large jets and a pair of XL Jets (yes I like jets & you can get them used for a screaming deal :D) but somehow I still feel the loss :(. Was looking hard at the pic but don't see how my new Halcyon spring would have broken? Kristina did the spring have a black cloth covering?

Ah never mind, that fin is still tossing around somewhere on the left side of Whalers Cove.

Back
Top Bottom