History of Sunset House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MANTA III

Registered
Reaction score
While running through Sunset House's website, something new popped up on their site that I am sure has to do with their 50th anniversary, that I thought was interesting.

The history of the place! You can find it by going to their website and looking down the RESORT menu column, 4th one down. (I guess they don't let rookies post URL's on this site)

Would have been much different back then!!! It is amazing how the place has changed.

(IF someone could post the link for others, it would be easier. Sorry!) :depressed:

Yes, it was way much different back then. All you had to do was walk out of your room through the dive op (watch the overhead fan blades) and flop into the Caribbean.

Just offshore was Bugsy, the largest Grouper I have ever seen- he looked about like a 13 cu ft refrigerator.

Then there was Snaggletooth, a Barracuda that was as long as any diver with his flippers (back then we called them flippers, see?)

This was the place that the famous image of the Bikini clad hottie was shown snuggling up to that famous Green Moray... I forget his name.

Just right off the resort's shore.

I believe that this is where the guys were from that shot that great u/w image of a scuba diver in downhill skis, boots and poles... looking as if he was skiing down a reef.

Some of those critters may be long gone, but it seems that Barefoot Man has found a new home!

The shore dive at your front door is still a pretty decent dive. No sign of Bugsy & Snaggletooth, I'm afraid. The green moray's name was Waldo, or am I confusing him/her with another of the species? I think I know where that downhill skiing shot was taken - there's an anchor there now. And, of course, the site now boasts the Mermaid statue at 55 feet. Freediving to the Mermaid is now considered a Thing To Do. The Barefoot Man's new home is on the other end of the Island, at the Reef Resort.

I remember Waldo and the grouper (although I never new it had a name) I remembered the dogs too at the bar. Pirate and Tripod were great! Always felt sorry for Tripod, but she could keep up with Pirate.

I hope they put some more old pictures up.

I believe the ski-ing photo was taken at Sand Chute off SMB.

Nipi is correct, the famous "Ski Cayman" photo was taken back in the eighties for the Department of Tourism at Sand Chute, a great wall site out from the Cemetary in West bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom