Historic Logos, Decals, and Patches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few on mine.
6E261BC7-F71B-4965-B4EE-49C6613E18FA.jpeg

@Eric S
Please educate me ( and I suppose others ?)

What was ? is ?
"American Association of Certified SCUBA Divers, Inc "

The name the patch and the organization is a mystery to me

@joewr
Comment on your patch and size of divers flag stripe
(I note that i need to wake up before i use the computer to write a response )

Sam 111

Hi Sam,
It was an organization back in the 70s that if you were a member, offered deals on travel and equipment.

Historic logos can be useful and reliable information sources when researching and documenting the modern history of diving equipment. Here's a case in point.

As a retirement project, I am studying French basic diving equipment manufacturers operating between the 1950s and the 1970s. By way of example, Kent Rubber Company of Anglet in southwestern France was such a manufacturer, making hot water bottles, swim caps, fins, goggles and masks as well as distributing spearguns. Illustrated below is the firm's "Submarine" brand logo:
upload_2020-7-27_11-54-23.png

I was intrigued by the English name of this company located in France's Basque Country, but I was astonished even more by the firm's brand name "Submarine" written in a cursive style I had observed elsewhere:
upload_2020-7-27_12-2-10.png

The 1950s advertisement above is for a Trident swimming cap from the Submarine product range of W. W. Haffenden Ltd., operating at Richborough Rubber Works, Sandwich, Kent. From my childhood I remember this British company's Submarine Clipper fins, which were sold in many sporting goods stores here in the UK, e.g.
464505671-sports-shop-interior-sheffield-south-gettyimages-jpg-443422-jpg.462285.jpg

There is a pair top right.

So what's the evidence of a link between the Kent Rubber Company of Anglet near the Atlantic seaside resort of Biarritz in France and W. W. Haffenden Ltd. of Sandwich in the English county of Kent? Let's consider the facts.
  • Both companies' product ranges came with the brand name "Submarine" written in a lookalike cursive font on their respective logos.
  • Both companies had some connection with the name "Kent", the firm's moniker in the case of the French enterprise and the firm's address in the case of the English manufacturer.
  • Both companies manufactured the same range of rubber domestic and recreational goods, namely hot water bottles, swim caps, goggles, fins, masks.
W. W. Haffenden Ltd. was a family-run concern until 1960, when it was acquired by London Rubber Company. W. W. Haffenden Ltd. became "Haffenden-Richborough Ltd.", while the old brand name "Submarine" was replaced with a new brand name, "Britmarine", written in a now familiar cursive font:
upload_2020-7-27_12-36-41.png

These leads caused me to surmise that there must be some link between the English and the French company. And so I was delighted yesterday when I finally located some supporting evidence from the 20 July 1967 edition of Opera Mundi EUROPE:
upload_2020-7-27_12-48-50.png

http://aei.pitt.edu/81970/1/OM0162-done.pdf

and from the 10 August 1967 edition of Opera Mundi EUROPE:
upload_2020-7-27_12-50-58.png

http://aei.pitt.edu/81813/1/OM0090.pdf

So there we have it. As artefacts from the past, historic logos can plant a hunch in somebody's mind and inform a follow-up search for further evidence in the online and printed literature to verify what will otherwise just remain a hypothesis.

Has this one been posted yet (as I am not going though all the pages to find out)?

Did I myself post this before? (Hmmmmm, that's what too long a time ashore does to your brain.)

Logo circa early 90's for for that outpost of techdom, i.e. Billy Dean's KWD Inc.
Key-West-Frogman.jpg

Has this one been posted yet (as I am not going though all the pages to find out)?

Did I myself post this before? (Hmmmmm, that's what to long a time ashore does to your brain.)

Logo circa early 90's for for that outpost of techdom, i.e. Billy Dean's KWD Inc.
View attachment 637275

I still have an IANTD t-shirt with that logo on the sleeve!

Well here is another phrase - the top two lines - that you might have seen on an IANTD shirt, but I coined it and had it first on my then company 'logo' back in 93, they just decided to use it after the fact.

The other, well it speaks for itself.
ADS-copy.jpg

Trusty-Shellback.jpg

Attachments

• Trusty-Shellback.jpg
    Trusty-Shellback.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 82
10.png

Maybe not as old as some in this thread, and calling CPR training dummies scuba equipment might be a stretch, but I love this crazy logo and I want it in gaudy retro colors on a tshirt. I've seen it in color on their equipment but can't find a picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom