Hip replacement & dive training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoomi, I saw your post on another thread. You said you and your wife were a week and a half away from your OW certification. So tell us, how's she doing in class and the pool? Did you surprise her with the gift of certification? Fill in the last couple of months.

I had both hips replaced at the same time at the age of 58. Within 4 months, I was back to my job as an airline pilot. Would have been much faster with one hip or with a normal job, but the company and the FAA didn't think a pilot using a cane would inspire confidence. I retired at age 60 and at age 61 completed my OW certification.

I don't have the mobility I used to have. It is hard to do things like put on a wet suit and tighten fins, but that is about it. I was a little concerned about center of gravity with all of the steel I am carrying, but it was not an issue.

My doctor, did not even blink about the hips for diving, but was more concerned that I take blood pressure medication and wanted a stress test.

I don't think having a couple of artificial hips is an issue. Don't let it hold you back.

Herb DuBois

She did great in the OW class (having a mask that allowed her to see made a BIG difference over the Discover Scuba course we took at the LDS). We found we need to be a bit more careful as she's equipping; trying to put on fins once she has the rest of the gear on is tricky, particularly since she still has a few limitations on what she's allowed to do with the replacement joint (such as not crossing that leg over the center line of her body).

We head for Himalaya Bay, Mexico, on Friday morning, and barring any problems, should have our first cert dives Friday afternoon. My biggest concern right now isn't her hip; it's that - for the first time this year - I'm feeling like I have a cold coming on. I have that slight sinus and throat irritation that usually precedes a bug, so I'm dosing up on preventatives this week. It'd be strictly the shop owner's grace that we could reschedule the trip at this point without some financial loss (normal policy is no refund or reschedule within fifteen days of the trip), but if I'm congested this weekend, there won't be any scuba in my weekend. Maybe a bit of snorkeling, but no cert dives.

Hi everyone. ...I was in a bad car accident .. broke my pelvis, 10 ribs ..both ankles and my leg on left side ... i also broke my back... tried to dive pt lobos this weekend my buddy brought my gear down and i put it on in the water... i couldnt keep myslef upright kept flipping over... i have been swimming 1000 yards a day and walking 1 mile ...but im still to weak to dive. im off balance and kept rolling over,,,and was very tired after all that , I only dove to 20 ft for 20 min. its been 7 months since my last leg surgery and my bones have healed, but i still cant dive yet ...need to work with weights to get my back and pelvis strong. before my accident I was very strong... so disappointed thought i could not dive... but need to wait tell im stronger...I guess im getting a lesson on patcience...

Part of bone healing after a fracture or joint replacement is that the bone is living tissue which undergoes remodeling according to the stresses placed upon it ; such as gravity. Hence, after some time, the bone, in the absence of complications such as infection, should virtually be as strong as it was pre fracture. In terms of joint replacement, you are correct, the stresses placed upon the joint are quite different, if any, when in the water. In other words, the joint is not "weight bearing" ; a term you no doubt heard form your surgeons during recovery.
As with any trauma, and surgery is trauma, healing can be a protracted event ; especially if there was accompanying muscle deconditioning, or medical issues.
As most of you have already suggested, it will not be the diving that is the main issue but egress and ingress to the dive ; a weight integrated BC may help, for example.
The other issue is, does it constitute an increased risk for DCS? I believe it would as there is an unpredictable amount of scarring in relation to a major joint of the body, associated with healing. How much can't be predicted and therefore would justify curtailing dives as a safety concern.
Overall? I believe diving post joint replacement should be determined on post operative recovery ( how much did range of movement improve, resolution of pain, and return to activities of daily living), overall fitness and any associated medical conditions. And I would suggest being somewhat more conservative, be it incorporating deep stops, shorter dive times etc, into your routine. This is exactly what I did following my own leg fractures.
Safe diving.

I'm a physician and have been diving since I was 16 years old. I had my right hip replaced in 1998 and my left hip replaced in 2000. Immediately following surgery, there are some restrictions regarding range of motion, after that, nothing. I have hundreds of dives following my hip replacements and am grateful for the increased range of motion and absence of pain. I am very physically fit and strong and have no problems with hefting the weight around, on land or reboarding the boat, including in high seas.

Good diving, Craig

Wow; this topic got resurrected from way back.

Susie, on the balance and rolling over issues, did the doctors say anything about damage in the inner ear from the accident? From the sounds of your other injuries, something like that might have occurred. It's certainly worth asking about.

For those who might have missed it (and the fewer those who might be interested), I posted a separate topic on our cert dive weekend.

Just had a total left hip replacement. Wow!!! Should have had it done months sooner. Lessened pain, better every day now. I had a fall in July, hip was never the same. Then I had a failed Arthroscopic surgery, in October, which led to the replacement (cartilage was torn bad and de-bonded from femur). I'm 6'3", 195 pounds, only 42. I was on crutches from early October to replacement early December. Next dive trip to Coz is in March. I have dove pretty aggressive in the past. I'm not looking to go stupid deep but is there a depth limit three months out?
Orthopod will not even acknowledge the diving aspect of my life. My regular doc says he would sign me off to go diving the way I am right now, he doesn't ask how deep. I'm 7 weeks post OP. I go to P.T. three days a week and swim leisurely for an hour on my 4 off days. Here is the kicker. I would like to get my tri-mix cert and go to Truk someday. Anybody know someone with deeper dives with a replacement hip/joint?
Is there a sure fire way to ensure blood flow around the bone near the replacement? I really do want to experience life, but not at the expense of my wife.:)
TIA
Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom