Hip pouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
I saw something the last time I was in FLL that looked like a great solution, there called Xshorts and they are basically boardshorts with bellows pockets like you'd find on a drysuit, you wear them over your wetsuit. I haven't been able to find where to buy them though. Dunno if they are DIR or not.

5th D sells them.

However, simply gluing a bellows pocket on your left hip works better. Halcyon had a really cool new design that had a sleeve for the wetnotes inside the bellows. I don't know if it is still beta or if it is out yet. I think there are instructions on how to glue a pocket on on the Halycon site. If not, just email them and ask. It is really simple to do.

StSomewhere:
I will look for that H pocket. Glued, and not stitched? How does that hold up?

Glued properly, it is not ever coming off. DUI pockets are glued on their suits too and I have never heard of a single complaint of the pockets coming off of the suits.

I use the x-shorts. I like them alot since I can change them between many different configurations. Since I dive in a skin, 3mil, 5mil , or 7mil the x-shorts were a great choice for me. I didn't feel like buying/glueing 8 pockets.

Matt

I've done about 200 dives on the X-shorts and the velcro is starting to deteriorate. I've also had to have the seams restitched. Now I suppose thats acceptable for 200 dives, and something that only costs about $75 US.

..I am going to put heavy duty velcro on mine :D Love the Rule 12 Shorts

RTodd:
I think there are instructions on how to glue a pocket on on the Halycon site. If not, just email them and ask. It is really simple to do.

How do I attach my Halcyon pocket to my wet or dry suit?

Necessary Tools: chalk, small brush, small roller

Recommended Adhesive: (McNett) Aquaseal Seal Cement (www.mcnett.com)

1. Don suit and hold pocket in desired location. (Recommended placement is on outer-thigh to keep the pockets out of the flow)
2. Use chalk to outline the desired location for pocket.
3. Remove suit and place on a hard flat surface.
4. Apply first coat of Seal Cement around outer one-inch strip on both the suit and the pocket.
5. Allow the adhesive to get tacky for about ten minutes and then apply a second coat.
6. Allow the adhesive to dry until tacky, for about ten minutes, and then apply a third coat.
7. Again allow the adhesive to dry until tacky, about ten minutes.
8. Place the pocket on the suit in the exact location desired. (Make sure it’s correct since it will not move easily at this point)
9. Use the roller to roll the pocket on the suit.
10. Allow drying for at least 24 hours before diving.

RTodd:
Glued properly, it is not ever coming off. DUI pockets are glued on their suits too and I have never heard of a single complaint of the pockets coming off of the suits.
Now you have. I put x-pockets on my DUI suit (which have quickly disintigrated) and just recently the stitching started coming apart (1 year, 150 dives). Generally the DUI installation holds up well, but I'd stick to DUI or Halcyon pockets.

mer:
Now you have. I put x-pockets on my DUI suit (which have quickly disintigrated) and just recently the stitching started coming apart (1 year, 150 dives). Generally the DUI installation holds up well, but I'd stick to DUI or Halcyon pockets.

That is the pocket itself though, right? Not the glue holding it on there.

Also, my personal installation method is basiclaly the same as the steps posted above. But, because I am paranoid, I coat the whole back of the pocket, not the outer rim. This does make the suit stiffer there in that it can't really flex into the pocket, but your call. I also don't use a roller, just set some five pound weights on the pocket and leave it overnight.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into glueing the pocket on. Right now the leg straps are holding it in place very well, but for getting in/out of the BP/W its just another thing to undo which can be a pain in the ***.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom