Hip pouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Natural

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I use a hip pouch that connects to the waist part of my harness and then snugs up against my leg using clips. Would this be considered DIR? I use it to hold my shears and my finger spool.

no it wouldn't....things can snag...check into a bellows pocket...

Something like this?

pioneer_profile.jpg

StSomewhere:
Something like this?

pioneer_profile.jpg
Well if it's Halcyon it must be DIR :eyebrow:

I believe fundies class is a lot more tolerant of slight gear variations than the tech classes as far as defining what is DIR and what isn't.

The question you need to ask yourself is less "what is DIR and what isn't?" and more "is this appropriate for my diving or not?" If you believe in the DIR method the two should be more or less equal, but just because a waist-mounted pocket might not be DIR for cave exploration doesn't mean it has no place in your diving.

jonnythan:
Well if it's Halcyon it must be DIR :eyebrow:

I believe fundies class is a lot more tolerant of slight gear variations than the tech classes as far as defining what is DIR and what isn't.

The question you need to ask yourself is less "what is DIR and what isn't?" and more "is this appropriate for my diving or not?" If you believe in the DIR method the two should be more or less equal, but just because a waist-mounted pocket might not be DIR for cave exploration doesn't mean it has no place in your diving.

asked the same question last week. its is allowed and is dir, most people have the pockets stiched to their wetsuits beacuse your hip pocket would normally be where your canister light would be if you use one.

if you are not using a canister light then its ok.

Yea its kinda like that, rides a little lower and has leg straps to keep it tight against the body.

The problem with those leg-strap kind, is that they tend to rotate around the leg. If they end up on the top of the thigh, they create mega drag.

mer:
The problem with those leg-strap kind, is that they tend to rotate around the leg. If they end up on the top of the thigh, they create mega drag.

solution....have em stitched

I saw something the last time I was in FLL that looked like a great solution, there called Xshorts and they are basically boardshorts with bellows pockets like you'd find on a drysuit, you wear them over your wetsuit. I haven't been able to find where to buy them though. Dunno if they are DIR or not.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom