Hinged fins -opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks heres a senario. My wife struggles to put her fins on once she's otherwise geared up on shore and for our current diving we have to carry our gear a little ways to and from the shore. She also has a bit of a hard time putting fins on in the water.
THEN we spotted an advert for Hinged fins. They at first glance look to be the solution. Put the fins on like shoes. Put the rest of the gear on and just walk into the water. --Is this actually the case ??

Yep... that's what they do... and people I know that have used them swear by them. I've heard the only issue can be getting them locked into finning position once you're in the water, but it's not a big deal. Great for shore divers...

That being said, I've never used them personally, so if you do ultimately buy them, and you run into any problems, remember...
...don't get unhinged...

...rim shot please...

Another option to consider is spring straps on the fins, which can make donning them a lot easier.

Another vote for spring straps. They make it much easier to get in and out of your fins
. The hinges just seem like a weak element that would be likely to give out.

I like the Omega's with spring straps. You suit up, put on your fins, jump in, kick to lock them in place and enjoy. Only thing I would prefer is if they were splits. My understanding is that this will probably never happen though.

the hinge is an entanglement hazard, if you dive around thin lines. Like towing a dive flag attached to a reel.

Sorry but I don't see how. Can you explain.

well, Puff has a pair. We dove the destin jetties & his fins got entangled in the line to our dive flag. pretty simple.

Something tells me that the hinges did not cause the entanglement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom