Hiking after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYC-Diver

Reaction score
Would there be DCS any risk in making a 3 mile hike up a small mountain to an elevation of 2,300 feet after two morning air nondeco dives of 45 ft for about 50 minutes and 115ft for no more than 30 minutes?

I'm assuming about 2 hours between end of last dive and start of the hike.

After doing the math, just take into account the notion of exercise post dive and ending up in a remote location. Should you get symptoms...bananna republic?..etc.

If your profile is very pedestrian, might not be an issue. Saturday we did three dives, two deep, and I would opt not to hike. One shallow dive..probably would. I am sure someone will give you the empiracle answer. Your profile is probably borderline, combined with the physical exertion.

I usually consider the location (Palau vs SoCal)..if you have an issue, then what is going to happen? One place, you get a heli to UCLA, another place, you are calling your mommy asking her to make phone calls and send cash.

Well, an air dive to 115 for 30 minutes blows your no-deco theory.

So, with that in mind, hiking may not be the best thing for you.

Check your numbers and bottom time!

wow, I did not catch that...

NYC-diver,
You might find the 120 rule helpful when you are casually thinking about profiles and not pulling your tables out: 120-depth=time, just as a rough guide of course. (It is only a single square profile though)

catherine96821:
Your profile is probably borderline, combined with the physical exertion.
I agree with Catherine completely. I think that many factors come into play including hydration, age, exertion level, location, and random dumb luck if your number comes up.

If you called DAN my guess is that they would reccomend you NOT "make a 3 mile hike up a small mountain to an elevation of 2,300 feet after two morning air nondeco dives of 45 ft for about 50 minutes and 115ft for no more than 30 minutes."

Heck, we are talking theory here so how can anyone be sure how one person's body will react after dives when we can't really be sure how your body will react to the dives in the first place. It sucks but the answer to your question will probably never be yes or no so playing it safe is my thought. Moreover, 115ft isn't a shallow or conservative dive and 2300 feet is still a mountain. Be safe and have fun!!:D

Here is the link to the NOAA dive table.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/NoDecoAirTable.pdf

This should give you an idea of your pressure group.

Two interesting question:
1. Will the increased respiration rate of hiking cause the nitrogen to outgas faster?
2. Will the increased perspiration of the hiking reduce your blood volume, there by increasing you chances for DCS? :doctor:

Oh how I love the physiology of the human. Everytime you turn over a rock you get 10 more rocks to check under. Isn't science wonderful!

Flea Dog

This may have hair on it, and I ain't petting it...except to say two things

1. What lunatic would not rest on the beach with WarmGoingCold? Oops, you in Bellevue, aren't you. No pun intended:jpshakehe if it is where a crazy house is located.:D I am with you about the beach. However, is NYC-Diver going diving and hiking in a place like Rio Dejanero? Hawaii, or US virgin islands or Jamaica? where there is some noticable elevation change? Where is NYC-Diver going anyway. Inquiring minds want to know.

2. Would the differences in the ascent rate of an airplane versus a hiker make a difference for susceptability to DCS? I can see a diver driving up to 2,000 or 4,000 ft, parking the car, and hiking up to 8,000 ft. Even the car's ascent rate would be slightly less than an airplane.

Back
Top Bottom