Highest certification level - Please explain.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just show the minimum card needed for the dive. No need to pull out the cave card for a 30ft reef in the keys.

Pulled out my AOW card once and the operator seen my DM card and asked if wouldn't mind if I was paired with some newer divers and I said sure if mine,my brothers, & my dad's dives are free. He didn't go for it.
Should have been "what's my pay and what are the benefits?" They are asking you to be an employee for a day...

A cultural point of view:

If I'm on a club outing and am asked to dive with a n00b, I'll happily oblige. Because when I was a n00b, I learned a truckload of stuff from older, more experienced members who were willing to dive with me and mentor me. When I'm doing the same thing now, I'm quite happy to pay back that debt to my community, at least as long as it doesn't happen on every outing. Besides, I think it's rather fun to help n00b clubmates to become competent buddies whom I'll benefit from in the future.

If I'm on a vacation paying for a dive, I'll be quite a bit more reserved about providing free labour for the op I'm paying to dive with.

A cultural point of view:

If I'm on a club outing and am asked to dive with a n00b, I'll happily oblige. Because when I was a n00b, I learned a truckload of stuff from older, more experienced members who were willing to dive with me and mentor me. When I'm doing the same thing now, I'm quite happy to pay back that debt to my community, at least as long as it doesn't happen on every outing. Besides, I think it's rather fun to help n00b clubmates to become competent buddies whom I'll benefit from in the future.

If I'm on a vacation paying for a dive, I'll be quite a bit more reserved about providing free labour for the op I'm paying to dive with.

That's exactly how I feel. With a club or a "group dive" of some kind, I'll be happy to dive with the just-got-certified-Sunday diver. If the same diver wants to go out with just the two of us some other time, sure, why not? But if I've traveled thousands of miles and paid hundreds of dollars, I want to maximize my own experience. (That said, if it's clear somebody's having trouble in the water I can't let go of my "mother hen" tendency and will keep an eye on them and help as needed.)

Should have been "what's my pay and what are the benefits?" They are asking you to be an employee for a day...

$80per diver X 3 divrs = $240

$240 was more then he was willing to pay/let go of. Thinking back I would have screwed myself had he agreed because that was a fun vacation dive with my brother and my dad that we've only been able to do a few times and will most likely never be able to do again.

I have been asked to take an open waterdiver as buddy when I was a 3* diver. I said yes, BUT: He takes an 18 liter tank, and you know I am going to the bottom of the wreck at 35m and there will be some deco? Yes. If you agree that I am not responsible, I will dive with him. Otherwise: I go solo.
And we had a great dive :D The open water diver liked it. It was a padi diving center and I took also an 18 liter tank. Now I will refuse and go solo. As a paying customer, I don't want to change my dives because of an inexperienced diver. If they say you can go for free, then I will take the diver.

Is Navy Seal "higher" than neurosurgeon? Is best selling author "higher" than rock star? Kind of a pointless question.

The only way that the "higher" certification question makes sense is in the context of a single progression pathway, where one card might be a prerequisite for another card.
Most of the SEALs that I’ve known have shown a marked preference for alcohol, a depressant. I only know one neurosurgeon. He’s been known to enjoy an occasional joint. I guess that makes him higher.

For a number of years, best selling author Hunter S. Thompson got just about as high as anyone ever has, often in the company of rock stars. Rock star Keith Richards is now also a best selling author due to the release of his autobiography “Life” a few years ago. He too has been getting extremely high it seems since around the time that making buggy whips was a growth industry. Call it a wash.

My primary concern is that a diver display sufficient training and capability for any given task. Additional debate often can descend to the depths of a spitting contest, where there is always the possibility that one participant is concerned with distance and the other with accuracy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom