High quality lights using AA, AAA, or C NiMH batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how much light you're looking for, but I have a couple of the piranha back up lights that use 6 AAA batteries. They're not bad, good long run time, enough light for a back up in the cave but nothing like your DGX 800.

I think you have their self discharge rates reversed. Li ion can be stored for years. NiMh no.

Also Li batteries have no memory. One of the main reasons why I end up chucking so many NiMh batteries.

Agree with you. Li-ion batteries can be rechargeable and stored for long time. To a certain extent, better performance on the dive lights.

NiMh has no memory either.

Anyway, I have a Dris 1K shorty when travelling, I'm happy about it. As a photographer, I take quiet some AA-batteries with me on a trip. And between dives, I just swap them.

I have been using the GRALmarine KX max for a ~year as my backup light and I am really happy with it. It's simple but solid, and needs 3xC batteries. I guess you could put rechargeable ones in it. Burn time is ~2-3h, with a rather bright 1300 lumens. Oh and it fits well on my BP/W shoulder ring!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom