High output handheld light choices for back-ups?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If all you want is a higher output backup, you may look at combining what Packhorse mentioned with what marchand did here - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/241849-uk-sl6-sl4-led-comparison.html

The UK sl4 and the scout use the same bulb, the drop in that Packhorse recommends is brighter than the one used by marchand. For $12 it's worth a shot, I'm going to try it in my Photon Torpedo.

Hi Packhorse,

The Nocturnal Lights SLX LED Dive Light requires six regular AA-batteries. Rechargeable types of AA-batteries can also be used.

Can you please help me with my math?

3 x 3watt x 4 hours (as in your specs)= 36 watt hours correct?

6 1.5volt AA cells = 9 volt. The capacity of these in Alkalines will probably be 2 amps/hours or a total of 18 watt hours. NiMh may be as high as 3amphours giving 27 watt hours. (actually less as they are only 1.2volt)

Both short of the required 36 watt hours your light would require to " run for four hours before slowly diminishing for several more hours".

Am I missing something here or is your product misrepresented?

Can you please help me with my math?

3 x 3watt x 4 hours (as in your specs)= 36 watt hours correct?

6 1.5volt AA cells = 9 volt. The capacity of these in Alkalines will probably be 2 amps/hours or a total of 18 watt hours. NiMh may be as high as 3amphours giving 27 watt hours. (actually less as they are only 1.2volt)

Both short of the required 36 watt hours your light would require to " run for four hours before slowly diminishing for several more hours".

Am I missing something here or is your product misrepresented?

Hi Packhorse,

Each LED bulb on the SLX is 1 watt for combined total of 3 watts, and not 3 watts each.

Does the Salvo 9W convert to a small canister the same way the Dive Rite 500 Lumen LED does?

This is probably less of a problem with cave diving but in New England or quarries, the more light the better!

Maybe you should have a look to our PHOTON. With this small light you have the light power like 50W halogen. In near future we offer the same lamp (only 70mm longer) with the double capacity. Then the burning time will be approx. 2 hours with full power and with reduced power approx. 3 hours. More infos you will find here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/241773-mb-sub-led-cave-photon-hand-held-test.html

Michael

Perhaps waiting abit longer for an ultracapacitor based underwater light might be worthwhile? This present technology is listing a 200 lumens output without specifying the focus beam. The elimination of batteries is certainly welcomed but it appears that further refinement for higher output and tighter focused beams in an underwater canister might be several years away.

Perhaps it is worth upgrading from the 1-Watt LED based Halcyon Scout to the new 3-W LED upgrade? This manufacturer is not reporting a lumens value though they are claiming a 50% improvement over the original 1-Watt LEDs which is what I have now. Personally I'd prefer to see a greater improvement than this as even this upgrade with existing parts is still rather expensive for limited gains.

If one only considers lumens than it still seems like the Salvo Rebel (at 600 lumens) will provide the highest output in the smallest casing size but perhaps the comparison of lumens, focus beam and canister size should not be the only factors?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom