High output handheld light choices for back-ups?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have two Halcyon Scouts with LED upgrades as my back-ups but am not completely satisfied with their output. For emergencies they are fine but to lend them to a buddy and continue our dives I find them difficult for communications or use. This is probably less of a problem with cave diving but in New England or quarries, the more light the better!

I have identified two possible candidates, the Salvo 9-W Rebel Handheld and the Dive Rite 500 Lumen Dive Light (handheld configuration). Does anyone have experience with either of these lights? Any comparisons? Are there other products that I should be considering?

I have a Salvo 35-W HID which has been awesome in terms of performance, reliability and quality so I'm leaning towards the Rebel but am interested in others experiences.

Check this out for a great little back up with plenty of signal power if you use the aspheric lens.

ISTP7ASPQ5.jpg

The centre beam is the aspheric and will out throw either of the salvo or Dive Rite but give zero spill light and only last 1 hour to 1 1/4 hour. This can be increased 2 fold if you use a different battery configuration by you may lose some max brightness after the first 30 minutes.

This is one that just came out...I have some tech guys in the area comparing it to their other backups, but so far it gives a tighter and brighter beam than a UK c4Eled...which is a bigger light that people use as a primary...
https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51_226&products_id=2094

At about 4.6" in length, and coming with a rechargeable battery and charger with about 4hrs of run time....

Sorry if not what your looking at, but to be honest the guys around me are going nuts over this!

check out the solus backup, 200+ lumens, small, runs on CR123As, very well made, a little pricey but a very nice backup. I own one and would def recommend if you have the pennies to spare. I believe Scubatoys currently sell them, solus has stopped production due to cost increase.

Another option would the Nocturnal Lights SLX LED Dive Light. It powers off of AA-batteries and has a burn time of at least 4 hours.

SLX-4.jpg

You can check out more about this light here.

I have identified two possible candidates, the Salvo 9-W Rebel Handheld and the Dive Rite 500 Lumen Dive Light (handheld configuration). Does anyone have experience with either of these lights? Any comparisons? Are there other products that I should be considering?

I have the Salvo 9W Rebel and it is a great light. I have no problem using it as a primary light. I'm very happy I can use it for a whole days diving and not have to worry about the battery crapping out half way through.

Hi NL.

What sort of batteries do you use to get 4+ hours at 3 x 3watt power consumption?

Hi Packhorse,

The Nocturnal Lights SLX LED Dive Light requires six regular AA-batteries. Rechargeable types of AA-batteries can also be used.

I have the DR handheld backup - although I added the cord for experimental S&G,travel and quarry purposes and I am occasionally tempted to carry it corded in a DS pocket rather than on the shoulder strap as it is much easier to use as a back up in that configuration - but slower to deploy.

I am assuming that "continuing the dive" after handing a backup light to a buddy (why does he not have his own?) means aborting the dive and exiting the overhead environment. A primary light failure should be cause to thumb the dive. Period. Unless you happen to have another primary light along as well as 2 backups.

Part of the temptation to put the corded 500 Lumen DR light in a DS pocket with the safety spool, etc is that it is overall small enough and light enough to do that and it provides enough light to function as a primary. So with it in a pocket in addition to a primary and the normally carried two strap mounted backups (ie: you have 4 lights along, not 3) it would provide the ability to have an extra primary among the team with minimal extra weight and bulk. But I have to overcome my Hog roots before I commit to that type of change given the infrequency of primary light failures - at least compared to the overvolted halogen lights used 10 years ago.

One advantage corded or handheld is the increased utility and capability compared to a more normal 3W backup and that is very attractive and makes the additional bulk worth it. The downside is the $300 sticker price.

In any case, it can be used either way and makes a great hand held backup or with the cord serves as a lightweight, compact, easy to travel with primary that does not require a charger for casual traveling wreck dives, etc. In fact the reason I got the cord is for trip insurance in case I have a primary failure during a trip to N FL or NC where a primary light failure could effect far more than just that dive. A corded DR backup (along with 2 other normal backup lights) would get you through the rest of a technical trip.

It is a bit on the large size in both lenght and diameter compared to the normal 3 "C" cell Halogen or LED back up light, but it puts out a very useful amount of light - comparable to a 10W HID. And the burn time is impressive and it steps down from 3 LED's to 2 to 1 over several hours beyond the normal 20 hr burn time, so you'd have to be a real moron to run the batteries completely dead - a good trait in a back up light.

Call me cheap, but you can get the LED version of the Pelican Sabre Light for about $35.00 and the output is about the same as the arguably slightly more durable and a bit harder to flood but much more expensive LED Scout. So spending more on the DR handheld and then buying a couple cheaper sabre lights makes some sense.

I

I am assuming that "continuing the dive" after handing a backup light to a buddy (why does he not have his own?) means aborting the dive and exiting the overhead environment. A primary light failure should be cause to thumb the dive. Period. Unless you happen to have another primary light along as well as 2 backups.

I guess that I should have clarified in that I wasn't even considering this for overhead dives as I was thinking for open water night dives at 25' depths or so. We lead some local dives at night with relatively new divers and I often seem to have to loan out my scouts during the dives as so many of the participants are using such lousy lights. The scouts work OK for continuing these dives but in reality the often limited visibilities make the scouts even marginal. I typically do not offer the scouts for use until I see someone struggling with poor quality lights and then my hope is that they will upgrade their light choice in the future for use in night diving.

But as I was considering a proper way to go, it did get me thinking of something like the DR-500 or Salvo Rebel in replacement of the scouts altogether. I hadn't thought of clipping them off inside of my pocket as I was thinking of mounting one in replacement of a scout on my harness. It sounds like this might be too bulky? I carry enough in my pockets now so am not really thrilled to add more.

Back
Top Bottom