High cost of drysuit repair!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just got off the phone with a drysuit repair place up in Auburn WA that repairs Teknodiver drysuits.
Mine needs a new zipper, the old one got worn from getting in and out and finally cracked from the stress.
Anyway, the guy quoted me $685 dollars and some change plus shipping to put a new zipper in.
To me that sounds a bit high.
I have no idea what the average price is to replace a zipper.
I don't know much about drysuits other that this one which I bought new in 2001 and I've never had to send it out for repairs. All the seals are neoprene which are in great shape and from what I hear the seals are the first thing to go on a drysuit. Maybe that's latex that go bad?
The suit other than the zipper is in pretty darn good shape. I've only had to fix a few leaks.
I went back to diving wet several years ago, but I looked at this thing and thought maybe I should get it fixed and start using it again. But now I don't know, almost $700 bucks, that's a pretty good chunk of change.
I thought maybe get it fixed to be able to at least sell it.

Does anybody have a lead on anywhere that can do a little better?
Or maybe a place that can sell me a heavy duty zipper that I can install myself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check with Dive Right In Scuba. Mike is a super good guy, he will give you the best bang for your buck on the repair. Things have changed since 2001, Mike knows all the ins and outs.

Measure the zipper and let me know what size it is. Nub to nub, I might have one. They sell for around $120 and with a little glue they are pretty easy to fix. I KNOW you can fix it yourself.

Are you coming over the hill at all? Otherwise I need to come your direction at some point for a hair cut, maybe even tomorrow afternoon depending on when I get back from Mill Valley. Let me get a look at the drysuit. Plus I need to grab a fuel tank from you, and the reg.

That's high for zippers, although I don't know what's involved with that particular suit. We just had the zipper on Peter's Bare redone, and it was about $350 from Bare. I've generally heard 3 to 400 for zippers.

If the outfit is KME, I would look elsewhere, anyway. I haven't had real good luck with them.

Mark at Superior Diving Repair and Steve Gamble in Florida are two folks with fairly solid reputations for dry suit work.

Lynne:
Yes, you hit it, it was KME.
Thanks for the heads up. I pretty much decided against it anyway before I even got off the phone.
I went to Craig Gillespie's website (who sells Teknodiver - Seattle Scuba) and that's who they recommended...Hmmm?
Craig used to work at Pinnacles in Santa Rosa and I know the guy.

Peter:
Bring over what you have and if it looks like it will work I'll buy it from you.
I doubt it is the same HD zipper but I don't care, as long as it doesn't leak.
And I figure if it doesn't work, oh well no big loss anyway.
I have the reg(s) here.

+1 for Steve Gamble. He did a fantastic job on my wife's suit, so well that I won't go to anyone else even though I live in Switzerland...

Peter_C convinced me to do it myself.
I already got the old zipper out (semi pain in the ass but not too bad)
I saw that North East Scuba Supply has the heavy duty BDM zippers for $119.00
I'm ordering one and I'll have it back together as soon as it comes in.
I'll let you guys know how it worked out.

I love the internet.

I have used Superior in Minnesota for six years now. Of course I only had them do work twice but it was reasonable and fast every time.

I used Mark for a repair and it didn't go well. Eventually he did make it right though.

I plan to try Steve Gamble next time I need something.

---------- Post Merged on July 5th, 2012 at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 4th, 2012 at 04:27 PM ----------

For reference, this was my experience with Mark at Superior.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/315737-drysuit-rings-right.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom