Hidden Worlds Cenotes - worth it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We always go with Leif of Manta Divers,I use a .5 mm skin and a 3 mm shorty.

Rondo:
We always go with Leif of Manta Divers,I use a .5 mm skin and a 3 mm shorty.
I did too, and Leif is quite the character.

Shoc369:
We will be staying in Cancun in May 2005. We are PADI Divemaster Candidates and have no fear/problems with the cave/overhead environment and/or buoyancy issues. We have never dived in a cave before but dive quarries here so we have the proper equipment for cooler water (5mm suit, hood, gloves. lights). We would be going with a certified cave guide (obviously).

That being said, do you receommmend diving the Cenotes while staying in Cancun? Is it worth the LONG travel time/expense to get to Hidden Worlds from Cancun?

I think this would be more of a once in a lifetime thing for us as we really like sun and warn water diving. Would you receommmend it?
We are specifically spending 6 days in Akumal to do cenote dives. We are hooked. I am bringing a 5mm overshorty to wear over my 3mm full. Two 60minute plus dives in dark 74 degree water sucks the heat out of you. Our diveguide wore a camaro 7mm hooded fullsuit with vest. I wore a 3mm full suit and was shivering pretty hard by the end of the 2nd dive. I have been warmer in 50 degree water with the right gear.

I wear a 7mm jump suit with a 3/5mm hooded vest when I cave dive in Akumal. Whether the dive is in the cave or the cavern, there is no sunlight to warm you. The 78 degree water will suck the warmth right out of you. Our guide from Florida wears a semidry, our guide in Mexico wears a drysuit.

Better too warm and having to vent, than too cold and having to abort.

I wear a 5mm full lenght suit or my drysuit and light underwear and am very comfortable guiding pretty much everyday.

40% of my clients wear 3mm suits and are comfortable on the first dive and start to get cold before the end of the second dive. 30% are comfortable wearing a full length 3mm plus a 3mm shorty over top. 10% are comfortable wearing just a 3mm shorty and the last 10% wear a 5mm and are happy they did.

If you tend to get cold but don't want to invest in a thicker suit, try wearing a hood, the heat retained from your head contributes to your overall comfort.

On my trips, I bring along extra shorties incase people get cold, cause it happens more often than not.

Water temp in Dos Ojos is 75F. I am fine in a 3/2. But if you do a 2T dive you may get cold by the end of the second one. You can rent a wetsuit there if need be. The staff at Hidden Worlds is top notch. Very professional, very safe. Remember, you are never that far from an opening. The area you will be diving is a cavern not a cave. I was nervous my first time too but after a few minutes I was so blown away by the scenery that I forgot all about being scared. I go back every chance I get. In fact, we will be in the area May 5-13. If you would like to join up with our group you're more than welcome. PM me for more.

I dove the cenotes last April. My log shows the following:

Chac-Mool (2 tanks) - Air 72 degrees, Surface 72, Bottom (Halocline) 80

Dos Ojos (2 tanks) - Air 80 degrees, surface 78, bottom 77

I wore a full 2mm suit & beanie. On one dive, I wore a 3mm vest underneath, and found that I was too hot. I guess I'm in the minority. I wear my 7mm in 50 degree water, and generally don't break out the vest unless it hits the 40's.

The beanie makes a big difference. As Pez points out, you can lose a lot of heat from your head.

And as teamheat pointed out, you're never too far from open air. But it's not always back the way you came, so keep that in mind.

I'll be returning to Cancun the first week of November. I certified with ScubaCancun and will probably dive with again. They don't have much flexibility on their packages though. I'd like to do a night dive and a cenote. But I got a workout when I asked about this on one of the other threads. From all I've read, cenotes are fantastic. However, being a new guy in an overhead environment, gives me some concerns. Theoretically, you are never far from the opening, and I have really no interest in cave diving.

I'm game though...:-D

jbliesath:
I'll be returning to Cancun the first week of November. I certified with ScubaCancun and will probably dive with again. They don't have much flexibility on their packages though. I'd like to do a night dive and a cenote. But I got a workout when I asked about this on one of the other threads. From all I've read, cenotes are fantastic. However, being a new guy in an overhead environment, gives me some concerns. Theoretically, you are never far from the opening, and I have really no interest in cave diving.

I share your concerns. Ultimately, you have to be comfortable with your guide, who is cave certified, and wears a set of doubles. I spent some time asking questions (a lot more than the other three divers in our group), about the route, at what point we'll be the furthest from open air, at what point the closest air will be forward rather than back, etc.

I'll be back there next week, and I plan on asking the guide the same questions when he/she goes over the dive plan. I will also ask if they can provide the group with a signal when we are beyond the furthest point and the quickest exit is now forward. I just like to know these things.

If you're comfortable with these things, a cenote experience can be fantastic. (Check out the picture inmy profile).

jbliesath:

I posted some thoughts on Cenote diving and choosing a guide, it may help:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=925729&postcount=25

Back
Top Bottom