Hidden Gems of the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone have any hidden gems in the Caribbean they would care to share? A destination that's not part of the regular rotation? A special dive site at a popular destination like Cozumel or Bonaire? A great hotel or inn?

So far, we have visited the well-known places - Cozumel, Roatan, Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman, plus one place that's not as well-known as a dive destination, St. Lucia. I guess the best I can do for a hidden gem is a hotel in Playa del Carmen - Hotel La Tortuga. It's relatively small (forty-some-odd rooms), very nice, but not really fancy, and a very good value. It's in town and puts you close to everything. We loved it and recommend it highly.

Ditto St. Vincent. Also Speyside/Charlotteville area of Tobago and Little Corn Island, Nicaragua.

A bit out of the Caribbean, but Fernando de Noronha off the northeast coast of Brazil is super.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

San Salvador was very nice -- a great mix of hammerheads, rays, wall and coral head dives. Plenty to see deep and shallow, and the island offers enough top-side to enjoy but is not overrun by non-divers, t-shirt shops, and chains...except the club med.

Shore diving at Bay of Pigs in Cuba.

After a few minutes of swim you come to a wall. Fish life was ok but the coral growth was very colorful. There were lots sponge tubes more than a meter in length and were of pink, red, orange in colors. The most colorful place I have dived. This is compared to Ocho Rios, Veradero, west Oahu, Kona, Crystal River, Rainbow River, San Pedro in Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya.

These are great! A few of them I have never even heard of. Unfortunately, Cuba is not a real option for Americans. Thanks for the suggestions. I hope we will get a few more.

I have another one, but only because someone else on the board mentioned it - I only know it from its website. It is the Coral Lodge in Panama, on the Caribbean side. Apparently it just opened this winter.

divingjd:
These are great! A few of them I have never even heard of. Unfortunately, Cuba is not a real option for Americans.
A lot of Americans buy vacation packages to fly out of a Canadian city to Cuba. Cuba and Dominican Rep are among the cheapest for a 1-wk all inclusive resort vacation. At the customs entering Cuba, they know not to stamp American passports, so there's no record.

Alternatively some go to Mexico first then to Cuba. But in any case, it won't be long before Cuba opens up. They the place will be swamped with Americans.

Puck:
San Salvador was very nice -- a great mix of hammerheads, rays, wall and coral head dives. Plenty to see deep and shallow, and the island offers enough top-side to enjoy but is not overrun by non-divers, t-shirt shops, and chains...except the club med.

I agree. I do want to go back to San Sal soon. Love the hammerheads!

Back
Top Bottom