HID Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adm3745

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to make my own HID light and I have a very basic and probably dumb question. I have not actually held a 21w HID up close so I don't know...

Do 21w HID heads have front lenses on them? IF not is it the test tube that seals the bulb?

Are the ballasts removable? Are they oring sealed in, or potted??

If they ahve no front lens, how do you prevent the reflector from being scratched?

ahha. So how do you keep the reflector from scratching? Are the test tubes Oring sealed? IS it a face seal? or deos it slide over 2 or 3 orings?

They are oring sealed, typically two sealing rings and a 3rd at the base to absorb shock. The reflector shroud extends about an inch past the reflector and test tube and proves the protection.

I think the ballasts are oring sealed, but I may be wrong on that. Potting it doesn't lend to easy cord replacements.

Perfect. I just can't get my LEDs to focus tight enough so I'm making the switch. Looks like its gonna cost me ~350$ for 21w Brightstar with 5 hr burn time.

look at www.hoehlentauchen.at/

sorry i can't made google translate , but you will find some plans here (pdf icon) and a lot of informations.

but my advice :

- choose cylindical balast
- with integrated socket
- with or without reflector - no problem

use that balast : 24W balast and bulb without reflector for your costum or with reflector 12° or 24°

The simpliest way it is to buy some defect lamp like small enough kowalsky rip out accumulators and halogen and put inside new set.

I made that with scubapro scubalux 200 (successful ) and scubapro scubalux 100 (not successful because of dimensions problem - start on led upgrade )

you have also 21W version but it is a little slimer but less powerful.

Thanks for that. I actually emailed brightstar and if I'm buying low quantitites, the bulbs and ballast are pretty expensive. $86 for the burner and $96 for the ballast. I can get 21w burners for $50...I don't know if its worth the extra $36 to get 24w bulbs.

I'll prepaire two BS balast for sale (21 W used and 24W almost new but they are rectangular ) and one bulb . I think that could output electronic a little more overdimensioned and that's why safe .
Al balasts have some tolerances normaly +/-1W and also bulb too both they meet at 22W :D. Driving 21W bulb with 24W balast makes no problem a litle brighter - bulb did not die with several ignitions but inversely I think don't go so well!

if you need some measurments for your info or picture...

I always love pictures and dimensions. The setup I am going to buy is a 21w Ballast and a 24w Burner. They said the bulb would accept andy 18/21/24w ballast.

One other question about ballasts. The ballast I am looking to buy is seperated into 2 segments. The larger part I would install in the canister and the igniter in the light head. I contacted brightstar about some ballast and it appear they carry a cylindrical balast that is all one piece like the 10w. IT is also only 2" x 2" if I remember correctly. Does anyone have an HID light where the entire ballast is in the head? Also what kind of thermal protetion is there in HID heads. They come with a delrin base and attach to a delrin head. Is there a special type of thermal paste that is used to prevent socket damage?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom