HID lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cameron:
Is 21w a little too much?? Unless you are caving or the sort. Who has tried both and can lend there thoughts. I have never dived a 21

You can never have to much :wink:

Depends on what you are doing. 21W is probably great for daytime signalling and crud diving but on a reef at night 10w is already WAY too much so 21W is going to have most nocternal stuff heading for cover (if they can still swim..:eyemouth:..).

We use 10W Diverites with the wide fixed beam and cover it with a translucent cyan filter at night. This produces just the right amount of light, disturbs the marine life less and color corrects.

dive:

dive:

Diving around these parts, you can't really have too much. Visibility can be quite variable, and my 21W does a great job of cutting through the crap and is great for signalling, and there aren't many critters to see around here (unless you count other divers). But definitely down south, my 10W is more than enough.

I have the focussable Diverite 10 W. I thought it was great until yesterday when it refused to fire up.Turned out to be a broken wire inside the cord. Wandering around on some other boards it seems that this is not uncommon with the newer orange cords.

Hey all. Just sort of lurking and feeling out this board.

One of the important aspects of HID lights is burn time. As compared to the halogen bulbs, the HID bulbs really do put out more time. However, they are more fragile. The small filament is susceptible to bending and braking if the handheld light or lighthead is knocked against something like a dock or boat. If you are rough with your equipment you may want to consider a high wattage halogen light. If you are looking for a bright light and tend to be on the careful side, there's no beating an HID!

Henry at Niterider:
Hey all. Just sort of lurking and feeling out this board.

One of the important aspects of HID lights is burn time. As compared to the halogen bulbs, the HID bulbs really do put out more time. However, they are more fragile. The small filament is susceptible to bending and braking if the handheld light or lighthead is knocked against something like a dock or boat. If you are rough with your equipment you may want to consider a high wattage halogen light. If you are looking for a bright light and tend to be on the careful side, there's no beating an HID!
I have to second that. I thought HID was the way to go but after owning a dive rite mr11 I have gone back to my black water 3000 after having to buy 4 replacement HID bulbs in the last year. My lite had flooded once in 4 years and nite rider repaired it no charge.

Uncle Pug:
After you've check them all out... talk to Howard Sandroff. He doesn't have a website by you can contact him on www.theDecoStop.com user name sandho. If you do a search on TDS you will find a folks have a lot of good things to say about the lights he makes.

Recently my 21wHID flooded and Howard turned it around for me in one week including shipping time both ways across the USA. Excellent workmanship and outstanding service at a bargain price.
Well, as long as this thread has come back up, here's an update on Howard Sandoff.

I contacted him last week about buying an HID and this is his reply:

Howard standoff:
Dear Rick,

I have suspended operation on the HID system. I am still doing
canisters and battery packs as well as repair and modifications.

howard

Big Blue One:
According to this review the brightness of the greenforce 21w HID is half the OMS 10w - any theories ??

I have both the 10 & 21 watt and I know divers with the OMS 10w. I find that hard to believe. Most MGF's use the same 10watt bulbs anyway and if that is the case it isn't true b/c the 21 watt totally out shines the 10 and the 10watt is bright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom