HID light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdog0:
Anyone out there building their own cannister style HID lights?

Thanks,

Amy Jacques

I have not done an HID yet but I have done 2 halogen heads and 2 cans. I have looked at doing an HID head but so far I have not been able to find a price I am willing to pay for a bulb/balast combo.

would you care to share any plans that you have for these lights...

Diver Mike:

Sure give a day or so to get things together. I will need to take some pics.
The can info I got from airspeed press (dive light book)
The light head I designed in Cad and machined myself. I will see if I can find a way to post the drawings for anyone who has a way to do the machining.

Also last night I finally finished my pressure pot to test my light in. I took it down to 233' with no leaks. Although my dive computer that was in with it (to check the actual depth) says I am dead. To deep to long and it looks like I came up way to fast. LOL

Diver Mike:

Here is what I have right now on the light head I made.
Atached are pic's of the model and the drawings used to make it. It also uses 2 O rings and a 1/4 in piece of pyrex glass as the lense. It holds an MR16 bulb and socket.

Very nice and good work, I am looking ofrward to seeing the rest. Too bad about the "too deep, too long" incident RIP.

LOL

Diver Mike:
Very nice and good work, I am looking ofrward to seeing the rest. Too bad about the "too deep, too long" incident RIP.

LOL
It's ok, both me and now my computer are fine. LOL

Any way here are a couple of pics of my light head and the current can. If the can looks a little strange its because I wanted to try putting the switch on the bottom and have the cord come out the top. It was just something to try.
The can is PVC with a acrylic top clamped with 2 spring latches and an O ring to seal it.
Most of the parts can be bought through McMaster carr.

Ok, so now what are you going to sell these for???

ShakaZulu:
Ok, so now what are you going to sell these for???
sorry none for sale. I have to do all the machine work on saturdays at work and I hate to work on saturdays. I just don't have the time to make a bunch of them. But if anyone wants to make one they are free to use the light head design. There are a couple of design changes that are not on the drawing though. So if anyone plans to use the design let me know and I will update the design with the changes. Any machine shop should be able to make it. The one in the pic was my first and took me 7 hours to machine, and I am not a machinist. I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing could do it faster and in a machine shop time is money. So faster is cheeper. If anyone wants I can list all the purchased parts I used with part numbers and where they can be ordered. It will just take me a couple of days to get it together.

I may give it a shot at making one. What battery pack are you using? And what is the inside diameter of the can?

Thanks

Craig

Back
Top Bottom