hid light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The light requires a H3 55W bulb. These come in many different varieties. There are places on the internet that you can order them if you type in the search for "H3 55W HID" something should come up. I believe these spec. match a BMW vehicle, a set of light will run you around $8 on the internet with around $8 for shipping. If I can locate a good web site for you I will.

Automotive HID bulbs are 35 watts but need a special ballast. Ballast and bulb cost $200+. You cannot just unplug a halogen and plug in an HID, its a whole different ballgame. You cannot put a HID bulb in your light. The cheapest HID bulb and ballast you can buy is about $100.

The bulbs you are talking about are plain old halogen bulbs colored to look like HID and sold to the gullible or car nuts who want to look like they have HIDs

pepe once bubbled...
The light requires a H3 55W bulb. These come in many different varieties. There are places on the internet that you can order them if you type in the search for "H3 55W HID" something should come up. I believe these spec. match a BMW vehicle, a set of light will run you around $8 on the internet with around $8 for shipping. If I can locate a good web site for you I will.

Kmorley's right. There's no way you're gonna buy an $8.00 HID bulb.

It's for those cheap "Chicano" mobiles. Coloured "Blue" Halogen so all your buddies THINK you have HID.

I would like to know where you're gonna find an HID bulb/ballast for $100.00 though!

Auto HID's are $$$$$ too. No-where's close to $100.00 either.

Last I checked you can get the eval kit from WA of the 10W HID.
The problem is that it is 5 bulbs and ballasts for $500.

If you plan to dive with a regular group of people (team) you want to have the same type (HID, halogen or ???) and the same wattage so that the lights match.

This makes tracking and signalling easier.

pepe once bubbled...
set of light will run you around $8 on the internet with around $8 for shipping. If I can locate a good web site for you I will.
Don't be fooled.
That is not an HID.
An HID burner and ballast will run you close to $500 for a pair as a retrofit for a vehicle.
What you see on Ebay and on search engines as "HID" for $8 are simply blue-colored halogen bulbs with a little Xenon added.

This is in my future plans, but I'm just finishing my halogen MR16 setup with maglite head. Getting the fittings for the cable and will be diving it within a few weeks if all goes well. Once it's dialed in and working, I'll probalby start building a HID setup, and the automotive bulb and ballast is the current plan. It doesn't seem to be that easy to find a single bulb and ballast though. Most people want to sell them as a pair. Imagine that.

I was planning on researching it better and heading down to my local autowrecker to find a car that was sideswiped and only has one functional HID ballast/bulb left.

budcris:
has any one built a hid canister light using an automotive ballast and bulbs

I have been looking for HID parts for some time.
Welsch Allen want an arm and a leg for their MR11.

I found these 13 watt MR11 's made for ATV's

http://www.trailtech.net/hid_light_parts.htm

They have both spot and flood, and will sell replacement lamps and ballast parts for $39.00 US each.

regards

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom