Hi :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orcawhale

Reaction score
Hi. I got my C card last year, and log a few dives in the local lakes.. and one up at lake superior.

This year, i log zero dive. And my dive gear is sitting in that room, gaining dust! I know, i hate this happening. But i have been afraid of something. I have a problem you see, last year, i got an ear infection from one of the lake dives.. and since then, my ear has been in pain... off an on. And i dare not venture anymore to the lakes. Dun even mention any dives.

I know, i have been to the doctor a few times... and they can't find wats wrong. Well, should be doing some CAT scan soon to see wats wrong with my ear. Anyway, i have been holding my ear checkup for quite some time. Truthfully, i am scared of finding out wat went wrong.

I know i should not be doing this, but i prefer to dive alone. A few times, i head out to the lakes... diving alone. Not because i don't like to dive with anyone. Its cus, i find that most of the people i dive with ... especially the young ones.... are too fast. They swim too fast, and i can't catch up with them. My most favorite dive is the one up at Lake Superior... and i swam with an very experience diver... who charter his boat out :) He is in his 50s... and dive leisurely. Wish i can have a buddy like that.

Orca

Orca,

Couple things - what we fear most, is fear itself. If you ever want to use that dusty equipment again, get thee the proper med treatment! What means you - "they can't find what is wrong"? Have you tried an ENT or someone specializing in dive medicine? You must self advocate your own health.

As for diving alone, I think that's a bad thing, just an invite to disaster. It sounds like you want to dive with others, just haven't found someone who likes to dive the way you do. (It sounds like you enjoy slow, relaxed, no strain diving) Have you tried dive clubs? Local LDS? Could you dive again with your buddy up on Superior? (I too feel your pain, but for me it was skiing, I am a cruiser, give me long, wide open slopes with lots of powder. My other likes this East Coast crud, narrow, ledges, bumps, and steeps! He will point them down the hill, no turns till the bottom.)

Good luck. Keep us posted.

I agree that you should see medical advice from someone knowedgeable in dive medicine, but if I were you I would also talk with the instructors at your LSD. Tell them all that you told us in your post. They probably can help you. Try to dive soon because I think the longer you go without diving, the harder it will be to do so

good luck!

You aren't helping your diving future by not doing it. Forget about what you think they may find. The golden rule for divers apres dive is to look after their ears. The pain could be a residual infection but go get some treatment from a diving aware doctor immediately. Infections can lead to permanent damage IF LEFT UNTREATED. I get infections, most divers do, but it's straight to the quack for me. Some ant-biotics and it's all done.
If it's bad news than your situation is no worse off than it is now, but if not, you can get rid of that dust on your gear.
Good practice is to rinse the ears with fresh clean water after a dive. But goooooo noooowwww!!!!!!!! See the Doc.
It's not a big deal
Gasman

Direct your question to the Diving medicine section of this board, they're great. Or contact DAN (best thing to do).

www.divesalertnetwork.org

You could contact DAN at www.diversalertnetwork.org. :wink: I have gotten a physician referral from them before and they are very fast. I did it all online through a request form and they got back to me by the end of the day.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom