Hi there new diver here, what gear should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractioncontrol, let me try to offer some useful comments as a change of pace to this thread. First I recommend you do invest in a prescription mask. Perhaps two. It makes a HUGE difference in your diving comfort as well as enjoyment. Next, don't limit your shopping to on line. There are many advantages to buying from a lkocal shop, including on site servicing and repairs, opportunity to try gear ( in some cases) before making a purchase, and possible discounts if you take any classes or travel with the same dive center. Next, don't go cheap on equipment on which you life, to say nothing of enjoying a dive, will depend. Finally, rtemeber you are buying diving equipment, not a halloween costume. I prefer black to bright colors, but function trumps fashion. Now, do you own shopping, talk to some local dive shops, take everyone else's input for what it is - a biased personal opinion, and good luck!
DivemasterDennis

Someone will shortly be along to tell you to buy a bp/w, HOG regs, and a trilobite from Dive Right In Scuba instead.

Lol, looks like YOU are that someone :)

I agree with runsongas on gear recommendation (see other thread in this forum for my recommendations). And I'm pretty sure you need a frame if you're going to get a prescription mask. Having said that, I dive in contacts with no issues, and have done plenty of remove/replace and no-mask swims without ever losing one.

+1 on the knife responses. You are using the wrong criteria to select equipment.

It really depends on the mask and your script. I got my last one made by Leonard and Greg Maggiore. From their website:
"Leonard Maggiore invented the prescription dive mask in 1959, and his company has made over 40,000 of them in ANY EYE GLASS PRESCRIPTION into any dive mask."
Very happy with it. But you will pay. My bifocal script was 260 bucks. Plus the mask I already had for him to put it in.

+1 for contacts instead of prescription mask. Good prescription masks are really pricey and if you buy more than 1 or have to replace them for some reason, it might work out to be more expensive than getting contact lenses. If you ever need to borrow a mask or lend yours to someone, prescription masks will cause a problem there. Also, using contacts will open up every mask for you to try on and not be limited to those that support prescription lenses. If you want the blacked out look, the HOG masks are pretty good and very affordable.

I think your face/head soreness from the mask may be because it's cinched too tight. Next time, try loosening the strap as much as you feel comfortable doing so - I keep it so it's barely holding the mask up on my face when I'm out of the water. Once you're under, water pressure holds the seal.

If you want to buy new regulators, HOG is pretty hard to beat as far as value for money goes (not to mention all the great reviews here). Even without Black Friday deals, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that gives you the same bang for buck. Depending on where you live, you may or may not have an LDS that services HOGs - this will not be an issue if you're OK mailing them out for service or doing it yourself.I was *this* close to buying two sets on Black Friday but had to hold off on that due to some unexpected medical+surgery costs that popped up :banghead:. Looking for used regulators is also a great option, you can find deals online as well as LDSs if you're patient+persistent.

A drop leg knife or anything on a sheath strapped to your leg will be an entanglement hazard unless you strap it to the inside of your leg. This won't work for thigh straps and I've only seen this done with ankle strapped knives. Personally, I don't like knives on ankles as they're not within arm's length (assuming you will need the knife in situations where you're stuck or something). Regardless of what type+color+size of knife you end up getting, consider something that mounts to your BC or harness.

Best,
elgoog

Hi there, I wasn't sure where to post this but, I was looking for a good BCD and regulator(and octopus) and perhaps a mask(i may need prescription for seeing, but if there is a good mask for good price ill buy it and just use contact lenses), and a drop leg knife(with black blade if possible) for around 500 - 600 dollars?

Preferably with military type specs/look, and I will be needing a frame-less mask, unless a normal one of good quality will do fine (i don't know if its the quality of the masks i used in training, or my facial structure that it starts to hurt and get sore). Preferably fully blacked out in color for all the gear.

I am looking for an all weather set, as I live in a place with cold water; but would like to use it for warm water when i travel

I am looking to buy this stuff for myself at christmas time

thanks guys

Don't ever buy a mask based on the look and price. Buy one that fits. And in your case, buy one that capable of using prescription as well.

For reasonable quality BC and reg, you budget is quite tight. You may want to consider used gears.

You know too little in order to buy gear wisely. Buy essentials: mask, palm and get certified and a few dives under you belt. Then, if you love diving and you are planning to dive at a rate of more that 25 dives a year, think about buying your equipment. Beware for masks. Do not buy through internet. Go to a shop and try different masks. The only good ones are the one that fits your face.:crafty:

I have a fairly ugly Tusa mask that I use. But I love it 'cause it fits my face well, and I can't see what I look like while wearing it anyway.

SCUBAPRO - MK25EVO/S600 Black Tech - not for $5-600 though. Almost as black and more affordable: SCUBAPRO - MK11/R195

These come in all black standard except the 1st stage is chrome: http://www.atomicaquatics.com/reg_Z2_Z3.html

More affordable: http://www.divers-supply.com/cressi...CRS-HX814500&gclid=CICYo5aqqsICFciEfgodMSQA9g

DiveRite regs are basically black also except the logo on the purge is tan/red. https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/diveritereg.shtml

If you really want to go Mil-Spec, get what they use...lol http://www.leisurepro.com/p-posjr/poseidon-jetstream-mk3-din-regulator-black

Some other black options to peruse: http://www.leisurepro.com/c-1159/regulators?Filter=cvf_color=Black

Most Zeagle BC's are basically black except for the US flag on the strap - or the new Covert which has a grey wing insert.
http://www.zeagle.com/en/Products-Repository/BCDS

Last edited:
If you want to look like GI Joe then there is gear out there made just for you. It's totally impractical and overpriced but it is available. For under $700 for everything? uh...no.

We did a thread once about what a diver could get into diving for bare minimum buying everything brand new from various online sources (no used gear). The final result was that to get everything to be fully set up in cold water bare minimum with value in mind and no frills, it was about $1500. But that was just regular gear, no GI Joe looking stuff, that costs money.

The only other suggestion I have is to watch an old Sea Hunt video on youtube. Look for one of the bad guys wearing all black. Back then there were no BC's and gear was minimal. Basically all you need is a black wetsuit, black mask, black fins, black painted tank, and a reg set with as much black as you can find, and a black handled pig sticker (ebay). Then you could look the part of a total badass if a costume is more important then gear that actually works. And, with the minimal gear you will save a lot of money simply because there isn't much gear.
The only problem with that type of gear and style is that nobody dives like that nowdays (except a handfull of old pharts) and modern training doesn't support or allow that style of diving anymore.

BTW, I wear contacts and never had a problem.
Why don't you just rent for a while and learn to dive before worrying about how you look. Besides, after you get some experience your tastes might change and you might see other things more important then all black.

There are tons of theories out there on what you should buy and when you should buy. Renting first would be a great idea if there were more shops out there that rented comparable gear but unfortunately for cost reasons most shops use rental quality regulators and BCD's. If you were here local we have a plan that allows for people to try certain gear in rental and if they like it the cost is applied to the purchase afterwards. This is not something that is offered in most places. Renting it over and over can end up costing twice as much in the long run. You are better off finding someone you can trust to guide you in the right direction. We have customers come in all the time with a certain criteria whether it be price limit, brand requirement or just a certain style. No matter what it is we can help get you set up with the best value for your dollar. I would be more than happy to try and assist you with your gear selection.

Joey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom