Hi there, from Sarnia Ont. (lake huron, St, Calir river)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most all of the diving is done just south of the Blue water bridge. The river has a really strong current and back eddy's, so it's a place that deserves a lot of respect. If you stay close to the shore line the current isn't as bad. The vis can be horrible too depending on which way the wind is coming from.I suggest you get in contact with some local divers to show you the ropes.

Get a good number of dives under your belt before you dive the St. Clair River and go with someone that knows the ropes.

Get a good number of dives under your belt before you dive the St. Clair River and go with someone that knows the ropes.
Agree. I've done a little river diving--really "benign". Way different than ocean or lakes.

Most all of the diving is done just south of the Blue water bridge. The river has a really strong current and back eddy's, so it's a place that deserves a lot of respect. If you stay close to the shore line the current isn't as bad. The vis can be horrible too depending on which way the wind is coming from.I suggest you get in contact with some local divers to show you the ropes.

I dive the St. Clair River once or twice a week through the summer. Fun dive, but crazy conditions — which is why it’s fun. Holding on against a true 4+ knot current feels like standing up in a convertible at highway speeds. Heavy boat traffic overhead, including 1000’ freighters and idiot speedboat drivers. A climb over a fence railing and a 10’ drop into the water below — and a climb up a recessed ladder and back over that fence railing to get out. Tons of submerged junk ready to entangle (or impale) you, and covered in zebra mussels.

It’s not a dive for inexperienced divers. It can be done safely and reasonably benignly — if you’re careful and conservative. But definitely get some heavy-duty guidance from an experienced diver with a good amount of specific St. Clair River experience.

But with the proper experience and guidance, it’s some of the best diving in the Great Lakes area. I’ll take a good shipwreck over it, but short of that, not much around here can compare.

Back
Top Bottom