Hi Scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a PADI Divemaster hoping to find some inspiration to keep diving after some very disappointing experiences working in the dive industry. I now believe that diving is a way to spend money and not to make it, unless you are very, very lucky. I've decided to get a captain's license instead of becoming an instructor as I can't afford to pay the extremely high price tag of becoming a PADI instructor. They really should offer student loans if they are going to make it so expensive. Who really wants to spend that much time in a classrooms and chlorinated swimming pools anyway? Working on a dive boat and doing real dives is where it's at. Do any old pros, and by old pros I mean people who have been diving for 10 years or more (I've had it up to here with "expert" instructors who just started diving last year) have any advice for this kind of disillusionment?

Hi and welcome to SB - you will find the whole range of people here from salt stained, grizzled old sea dogs who are part fish to the zero to hero types who have not been diving long and are still on a mission to spread the word. I fall between the two camps - first diving nearly 35 years ago, but then taking a fairly long break.

I think these days unless you have your own business, and are prepared to provide a full range of services from instruction through gear supply to air fills and servicing, that being a DM or instructor will never make you rich. Of course if you can find a business like this there may be job opportunities, but usually what I hear is that it is a young mans game and does not support a house and family for most people.

In my case diving, instruction and DM'ing is a hobby, and I simply try to break even, which I just about manage to do, except on gear purchases - I like toys :)

I don't shlep tanks or do any of the day to day work, but when I am away with work in the middle east I do turn up at the dive centre at every weekend, lead dives, teach, or if no-one needs guiding or lessons I just dive for myself and I get my tanks and food provided for free. I can stay at the dive centre for free as well if I want, but my company puts me up in a five star hotel only a few miles down the road when I am working so why bother?

I know many professionals trying to make a living don't like people doing what I do for free, or very cheaply as there is a belief that it takes work away from them, but in my case there is only one dive centre within 40 miles, it is struggling to survive because of where it is and low customer numbers, and they could not afford to pay me, or anyone else if I didn't help for free.

With me helping they can offer more dives and options than if they had to provide it all themselves so it works for me and them, and they are now good friends as well.

When I am back in the UK I teach through the BSAC club network that is not set up commercially.

What keeps me going is the buzz of taking someone for a safe dive or lesson and seeing the enjoyment and sometimes 'wonder' on their faces afterwards, and of course meeting lots of new and interesting people. It takes me away from a stressful job and lets me completely chill out.

When I no longer am travelling to the middle east as much and have to find something to fill the "buzz" spot in the UK I plan on qualifying and helping with one of the local disabled access schemes to help disadvantaged divers safely enjoy themselves

I hope you can find your inspiration. Best wishes and dive safe - Phil.

Welcome to SB That Said:
Great people here; enjoy it but be careful its quite addicting.
Compressor

Welcome to SB!

i instruct, DM, guide, teach, crew dive boats all for fun and the few extra bucks to pay for my addiction. Once i stop having fun at it....i'll just dive for me. Now my first dive class was 1978 and i know what you mean. I recently had a divemaster "helping: me out who was recently certified as a DM and he was bragging that he now had 100 dives. I smiled at him and when he persisted to "help teach me about diving" i smiled again and told him my 100th dive was before he was born.
yes....we have a lot of this in the industry. a shiny c-card makes one an expert.
for that reason, it is important that those of us with experience stay in the game!

Hi That Said,
I know how you feel. It can definitely be a struggle to "Make it Work" being employed in the dive industry. It certainly requires creativity though more than luck, I think, to make the extra money to live a normal life. But it's totally worth it! I've been doing it full-time for the last 7 years when I did my PADI IDC (which was subsidized by the way) back in 2009. Hit me up if you have any questions! I'd love to give some insights :) Actually, I just did a talk in Toronto at the Outdoor Adventure Show about this exact topic using my personal experiences and how I've been able to "live the dream" as everyone keeps saying. I put it on YouTube in case you feel like watching. Search DiveWithMia in the YouTube search bar.
Don't give up! Keep diving!!
Mia

Welcome to SB! I went through the same thing a while back after spending a number of seasons working as a DM on charter operations. I remember wrapping up a dive season and instead of looking forward to heading down to Florida for some cave diving, I was contemplating selling my equipment on craigslist. I sat down and had a couple of beers with some of the old and wise in the industry who gave me some sage advice. That advice was to always remember to do "me" dives with good folks that you enjoy spending time with. While it was simple advice, it seemed to work. In the last few years, I have rekindled my love of diving. Of course, my work in the dive industry is now a little more behind the scenes and my bubble time is for me. I guess that's my groove.

Welcome to Scubaboard. What you said about your divemaster experience sums up why I went tech rather than pursue DM or other paths in scuba I want to keep it fun and a hobby. Im still not sure how diveshops can justify the cost of DM programs where they are essentially being paid by the employee to work at the shop.

howdy from south Florida USA......i just want to dive dive dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom