Hi, I'm ReefGuy, and I'm an addict

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yes, it's true. It all started out innocently enough - a Pistol shrimp here, trumpet coral there, the occasional blenny or invert. Nothing that anybody else doesn't do.

But then it got worse. Sneaking off at lunch from work to visit the pet store, late night internet surfing, hanging around other (decidedly seedy) reefheads, waking up with large amounts of cash mysteriously missing from my bank account and a new lighting system on the tank.

I thought things had really gotten bad. I didn't think that things could get any worse - I was wrong.

I was innocently (well, at least not guiltily) driving home one day and saw a store with a dive flag. Homer Simpson must have jumped into my head, because all I could think was "mmmmmmm slurp gun ohhhhhhhhhh", and the next thing I know, I'm pulling out of the parking lot with that familiar lightheaded feeling (which comes from not being weighted down with a wallet).

So I finished with my open water certification this weekend and find myself wondering (a) what kids bring now on EBay so I can support both my old and new habits, (b) exactly how I saved money on my reef tank by buying all of this scuba gear, and (c) When can I get back in the water.

If my kids don't bring enough, maybe I'll hold some third world country (France, maybe :) ) for ransom.

This is getting serious.

(PS: ATTN Homeland Security: I'm only joking about holding France for ransom. Everyone knows that it wouldn't bring enough anyway:D )

(PPS: ATTN Florida Department of Children and Families: I'm only joking about selling my kids. Everyone knows that they wouldnt bring enough anyway:D )

LOL, welcome to the board!

(or should I say asylum?)
:wink:

Welcome to the boards! Great first post.:D :D :D

Welcome to the board!

Maybe you could hold France until they agreed to take your kids! Then you'd be able to dive more often!

Just a thought...........

If this is the asylum, then please don't tell the warden I'm back!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

from a fellow addict, I've got to tell you, there is no patch, no gum and no sort of hypnosis that can cure you of this addiction.

I'm afraid the only way to live a normal life is to give in to the desire to be underwater and go diving, or at the very least, plunge your head in your fish tank.

Seriously though, congrats on your Open Water certification and remember to dive often but dive safe!

Cheers

Welcome, I grew up in North Fort Myers, I used to think that anyone above the Lee County line was a Yankee, is it still true?

Anyway, I lived in Melbourne, FL for 23 years and just moved to Virginia last January. I miss Florida where the diving is so close, but life is good here, too. Just different. Besides, I hate cold water.

Welcome to the board Reefguy
Know that here, you are among your own kind. Thank God there isnt a 12 step program for this addiction! Yes.....my name is Marty and Im an aqua-holic.

great post!
there is only one consolation: you're not alone :D
dive safe...

C'mon, now Dennis. We shot the last Charlotte County Yankee back in '85 and ain't 'nother set foot back! :D

I've got my next dive scheduled for next weekend, at Gennie springs, and I take Nitox class on Feb 27! Too many certifications and not enough time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom