Hi from new dive shop owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Abyss

Best of luck. Will stop in soon to say hello. Heading off for a liveabord next Sat so may try and stop in before the trip. What are your store hours?

Joe

:shakehead: town has still not given me my permit to build. They heard scuba are are afraid I am going to blow the place up with my compressor. Trying to educate them, but they read a blurb from Dale Fox of psi fame that if a tank blows up it has enough energy to lift a fire truck 6 feet off the ground:shocked2:. Now I have an uphill battle to undo the scare they have. That and more permits than trying to see the president while he's sitting with the pope, still hopeful if I work 12 hours a day when I get the permit that I will open by the first week in May.

Good luck on your trip I hope you have nothing but fair winds, flat seas and good buddies. will you taking pics / videos?

:shakehead: town has still not given me my permit to build. They heard scuba are are afraid I am going to blow the place up with my compressor. Trying to educate them, but they read a blurb from Dale Fox of psi fame that if a tank blows up it has enough energy to lift a fire truck 6 feet off the ground:shocked2:. Now I have an uphill battle to undo the scare they have. That and more permits than trying to see the president while he's sitting with the pope, still hopeful if I work 12 hours a day when I get the permit that I will open by the first week in May.

Good luck on your trip I hope you have nothing but fair winds, flat seas and good buddies. will you taking pics / videos?

Good luck with the town, it might take a lot of "education", patients and a few stiff drinks!!!

Yep I do shoot stills, Nikon D300. Don't think I know how to dive without a camera in my hands.

I'm still shooting my d70 in a S&S housing, though I did just move over last year to Sony HC7 in a Light & Motion housing with Salvo retina busting 50 watt dual heads for local stuff and light & motion sunray 1000 lights for travel.

I used to live in Albany a ways back, but grew up on LI. Small world that is why I posted. So what was your background before you opened the shop? Many dream of doing what you are... Is Abyss on the Net? I bet pointing to safety records of other shops in NY and around the country should help. Just don't do what a shop in Koh Tao Thailand does. How classic... Bet they would not get the town's approval

koh_tao_saftery_first.JPG

Last edited:
Nice shot I bet the town engineer would have a word or two to say about transporting tank that way, ha ha ha.

Yes its a small site I am running myself (I don't know if I have enough privileges to post a web site yet, but here goes) abyss-scuba.net As for my history I love the ocean and shipwrecks. I've been diving up here for about 16 years. Started with Long Island wrecks moved to instructor, shop monkey. manager and worked for a manufacturer for about 8 years. Now I'm getting back to what I love face to face with students and other divers. Being on a boat on a Sunday morning watching a nice flat sea and the hoisting of the dive flag.

Abyss Scuba

I think posting your web page in your intro should be included :) Did you start this from scratch or buy an existing business and revamp? I would love to be in scuba full time and eventually buy an existing shop. The areas I am considering have well established operators so I think this would make most sense. This would be a few years down the road. :depressed: For now, I am just taking advantage of as much diving as I can.

Good luck with your grand opening in May!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom